New Jersey > Rockaway: Texas Smoke

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Seen here. I've had the pulled pork and sliced brisket; both quite respectable. Nice folks too. Just off Rt 46 if you're on the highway, or on Greenpond Rd if coming from the north.

Drove by Texas Smoke about two weeks ago, place is out of business. Too bad, they were nice people. I was there in fall of 2011, good not great 'cue and off the beaten path location too much to overcome. RIP.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Grant:
Gary .. have you been to Hot Rods Real Pit BBQ in Wharton, NJ ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Total waste of time imho. Can't believe this place is still there, maybe it isn't.

Gary, you're right. I was looking at that festival in Vernon that you posted about and they were the first team listed. Glad to see they moved instead of folded. Maybe the new location will bring them success.

I ate there after attending a ham radio swap meet on a Sunday afternoon last July. I went in with a big appetite and left thoroughly disappointed. It was blatantly obvious that the brisket was reheated leftovers from the previous night. Not no way not no how that was fresh brisky--or if it was, it was overcooked by about a day! The pieces just fell apart when you looked at 'em cross-eyed. Ribs were mushy and fell right off the bone when you picked 'em up. Some may like 'em that way but not me or my better half (granted, I've spoiled her with really good Q!). There was no smoke ring on anything, either. The pulled pork was OK but nothing to write home about. It's hard to really mess up pork, after all!

For as bad as my experience was with them I'm willing to try 'em again before I pass final judgement, since I was only there once and it was just after they opened for the day, on a Sunday. If or when I do I'll post back here with the results.

Back