HEB in Texas has Briskets on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve G.

TVWBB Member
for 69 cents a pound!!! I will be smoking one this weekend for mothers day....first brisket on the WSM for me so wish me luck.

I plan to foil it for the end of the cook as that appears to be a common thread here that people like in order to keep it juicy. I have foiled on my off-set smoker and was pleased with the results, so I guess it won't hurt to try it here.

Now I definately gotta move! I can't find brisket anywhere for under four bucks a pound. And a point-cut is next to impossible. Flats are all they can get everywhere I've asked.

$1.19 briskets here in Tulsa.

I still say there's no need to foil a brisket while it's on the smoker. I've never foiled a brisket yet, and I've been doing briskets for... well, we won't talk about how long. Now I DO wrap the beast in HD foil, then in towels, then in an old blanket, and drop it in a warm dry ice chest for a few hours after I take it off. That's the time frame that magic happens, for me. Perhaps the foiling towards the end of the cook is having a similar effect that my long foiled rest has? I must go catch up on these brisket-foiling posts and see what's going on. NEVERTHELESS, it's great to see brisket prices dropping some!

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

Steve...I'd have to agree with Russ.

Man.........where I'm at here in Florida...it's a pain to get ahold of a good size butcher's cut whole brisket. Mostly I see the trimmed flats and they are tiny and not cheap...or the ones that have been treated and prepackaged by hormel for cooking in the oven or on grill and they aren't any good on the smoker. I end up going to a high end butcher and pay over $3 lb usually. If I were there I'd buy a few (ok more than a few) and freeze those puppies for later this summer. As for the foiling...I haven't used it for a brisket before as I have only done a few but have foiled for the 20lb hunk of a beef roast that took me over 20 hours to cook back on new years eve. Did that because being such a huge hunk of meat I didn't want to wait forever and i wanted it to fall apart as I was using it to make pull-beef sandwiches and for making shredded beef tacos and such. Too bad you can't ship that beef to those of us less fortunate here in florida with our high prices LOL. Good luck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back