Garlic and onion powder dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone used super fine garlic and onion powders as opposed to the normal granulated for rubs?. I got some today on accident and am not sure about it.

Yep--they're perfectly fine. Use a bit
less if you want to match the same proportions as the granulated you've been using. If they are powder use about 50%. If finer than granulated but not quite a powder go with 75%.

They'll work - the granulated kind mixes in easier, but the powder works fine as well, in my experience. Just take a little extra time in the blending, and use a bit less. I usually blend in the food processor, but when I use the powders they tend to fly up in a small cloud when blending. Thus, if I'm using powdered items, I prefer to dump everything into a big ziplock or one of these large 2-quart Dixie or Ziploc brand plastic throwaway tubs and shake the fool out of it. Not a glamorous method, but, hey, it works!
icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, my favorite shakers these days are wide-mouth pint jars using two flat lids and one ring. I punch holes in one flat lid, set another flat lid on top of that one, screw the ring on over BOTH lids, and voila - air-tight storage. Unscrew the ring, remove the one unpunched lid leaving the punched one on the jar, screw the ring back on, and voila - the shaker. May be an old idea, but it works for me. The temptation is to keep them out on the counter looking all pretty, but light is an enemy of spices, so it's better to keep them in the dark somewhere for storage.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I've gotten away from using powdered onion and/or garlic-- especially onion-- in rubs because, no matter how I try to store them, they themselves and the rubs they are used in tend to cake and clump unacceptably. Might just be the typically high humidity here, but the granulated always works just fine for me.

Hi... Jack's wife here...I have to say that all of you astound me on levels that I can't even begin to explain! I have been calling Jack a "Smokin Geek" for weeks...he's addicted! You guys have such great info! I have to admit that while he does seem "obsessed" the benefits are AMAZING!! So glad that there are others out there that share his enthusiasm for large pieces of meat, huge bags of charcoal, gigantic bowls of rub, and the intricacies of temp, mop, "bark", slaw or no slaw, pulled vs. sliced etc., etc. I can't tell you how much of my time has been freed up...
icon_frown.gif
I have lost my husband to another mistress her initials are WSM. She is shorter than me, stouter than me but apparently she shares his interests and keeps her mouth shut, she also seems to tolerate late night visits!! Hope you all have a GREAT weekend and even if we "Smoker Widows" haven't said so before...keep up the GOOD WORK!
Hannah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... tend to cake and clump ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Like Doug I find this as well. Powders will work but it takes a little more effort.

They can be really bad when trying to mix into a cool liquid like brine. The powdered garlic I have seems to ball up in the brine. Granulated powder works much better, so I guess it depends on what you want to use it for.

Hey, I just got a note back from Joe Ames at The Ingredient Store, and he told me the equivalent by weight between garlic powder and granulated garlic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One tsp of garlic powder = 1.5 grams
One tsp of garlic, granules = 0.4 grams. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW! That's quite a difference! More than triple. Well, we'll see how this goes. I'll start another thread with a chuck roast smoke I'm doing tonight. First chuck, first lump.

OH, and Jack, tell Hannah a secret from me to her. Tell her that "WSM" stands for "Women Smoking Meats", and that we'll support her stand if she wants to take the smoker away from you for her own use!
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C

Great post Hannah! My wife also knows the woes of being a TVWBB widow. Not that she's complaining, she just figures it's another one of those "guy" things I get in to. Of course Keri may wish to debate that issue.
icon_biggrin.gif

Also, thanks to you Keri for all of your informative, and very often, witty posts. I've been reading them for days and have learned alot. Now I have two heros in Tulsa, you and Paul James.
icon_smile.gif
Life is good!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back