Brisket, internal temp 185 or 205?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
still warming up to doing a brisket, so I"ve been reading. On this board, in the cooking section, I read a discussion on the "midnight cook" where the internal temp target was 185. The other article, "smoke and oven finish" targeted a 205 internal temp. The latter used foil, the former did not.

I realize it is done when it is tender and juicy, but the temp difference here is fairly meaningful so I am wondering what the target usually is and what the difference might be in terms of the two briskets if you were comparing them side/side.

David, I start checking for "tender" at 180. Some have been done in the low 180's, some went to 200. Early on I ruined several briskets by being hung-up on a temp. Since I started going by "tenderness" they've all been great. Hope this helps.

Bryan,

thanks for the link, that was very helpful. a couple of questions though...

With the high temp brisket and shorter cooking time, does it make more sense to cook on the weber kettle vs. the WSM? More room and seemingly more naturally runs at higher temps.

Second, depending on answer to above, can the WSM run efficiently at 350 lid using kingsford or do i need a different fuel.

Last, if you'll recall, my wsm is not here yet, so you'll know why i don't know the answer to this question, but do 11 lb packer/briskets fit on the wsm ok?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davidd:
Bryan,

thanks for the link, that was very helpful. a couple of questions though...

With the high temp brisket and shorter cooking time, does it make more sense to cook on the weber kettle vs. the WSM? More room and seemingly more naturally runs at higher temps.

Second, depending on answer to above, can the WSM run efficiently at 350 lid using kingsford or do i need a different fuel.

Last, if you'll recall, my wsm is not here yet, so you'll know why i don't know the answer to this question, but do 11 lb packer/briskets fit on the wsm ok? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

David, I am not Bryan (I am much cooler) but I can try to answer your questions.

1.) It would make more sense to use your WSM since it's easier to control temps. Also, your kettle will USUALLY run much higher than what is needed for a high heat cook.

2.) The WSM can run efficiently at 350 lid. You might need to leave the door ajar, depending on how much charcoal you use and outside temps. (ie. the weather).

3.) Yes, an 11 lb packer will fit just fine on the WSM.

Erik

Originally posted by Erik G:
It would make more sense to use your WSM since it's easier to control temps.
/QUOTE]
I agree, not that means much. The thing about using the kettle is that you will find yourself babysitting the cooker and constantly adjusting vents to maintain desired temps

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davidd:

1) With the high temp brisket and shorter cooking time, does it make more sense to cook on the weber kettle vs. the WSM? More room and seemingly more naturally runs at higher temps.

2) depending on answer to above, can the WSM run efficiently at 350 lid using kingsford or do i need a different fuel.

3)if you'll recall, my wsm is not here yet, so you'll know why i don't know the answer to this question, but do 11 lb packer/briskets fit on the wsm ok? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1) Use the WSM, much easier and no worries about that whole indirect are the coals too close to the meat that end is going to get over-cooked and gotta turn it or burn it... WSM makes it an easy cook.
icon_wink.gif

2) Shouldn't be a problem if having trouble getting temps up just leave the lid hang off the edge about 3/16"-1/4", no need to try and find something to prop the door open with then have it fall off when you walk away... lid off a tad is easy peasy.
icon_wink.gif

3) If too long just cram it inbetween the handles, it'll shrink up pretty quick.
icon_wink.gif

Back