Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder injection and rub

Does it make sense to use a mop sauce vs. BBQ sauce? If so, when and how frequently should it be applied?

TVWBB Honor Circle
    Chris Lilly doesn't mop or spritz pork shoulder, and if the pork is cooked right you don't need to add any sauce when pulling either. Have a red or lexington sauce on the table for guests to add, but the only thing I know of that Chris Lilly would typically add when pulling or chopping the pork is this:

Big Bob Gibson BBQ Vinegar Sop Mop

6.5 cups distilled colored vinegar (or white)
    1/2 cup cayenne pepper
    2 TB salt
    3 slices lemon

Mix well at least 24 hr. ahead of time and you can keep it in a jar at room temp for two weeks according to Chris Lilly.

We just put it in the fridge though. After pulling, douse sparingly on the pork like you're adding a little hot sauce. Put on the table for guests to add more as desired, and suggest to your non-chile heads that they not shake the jar up first... and use sparingly.

If my pork turns out as desired, I might not even taste my red sauce on the pork. The Big Bob sop is fantastic...and don't use APPLE CIDER vinegar!
    22.5" WSM, 18.5" wsm, Performer, 26.75" OTG, 22.5" OTG, SJ

Dave, am I reading that right- a half cup of cayenne? I am not sure my intestines would ever forgive me.

thanks,

Mark
    WSM 22.5; SS Performer; 22.5 Silver; 26.5 OTG

Originally posted by Mark Combs:
    A half cup of cayenne?
    Yes, it's correct and the mop is meant to be used very judiciously.

If you take a look at his book Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book on Amazon and click under the book cover photo "Search inside this book", you can navigate to the actual recipe on page 222 and see for yourself.

Regards,
    Chris

thanks Chris. I realized after I made the post that I actually have the book and should have looked at it before I posted.

I have not made that one as of yet, but certainly going to have to try it here in the near future.

thanks,

Mark
    WSM 22.5; SS Performer; 22.5 Silver; 26.5 OTG

TVWBB Honor Circle
    Chris, thanks for answering that. I'd encourage anyone to try the stuff unless they're just unusually spice-shy. The cayenne adds something without compromising the flavor of pork, and Big Bob Gibson had great taste in preferring white to apple cider vinegar.
    22.5" WSM, 18.5" wsm, Performer, 26.75" OTG, 22.5" OTG, SJ

TVWBB Fan
    I still don't see a need to inject butt that is going to be pulled (or chopped). It certainly doesn'r need the moisture. Any flavoring(s) can be added during pulling/chopping; easier, and it allows for better control. Still, if you want to inject, fine, but make you injection flavorful.
    Kevin-what would you suggest as a flavorful injection for a butt that will be sliced?

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    I tend to base this sort of thing (or what I decide to do for a rub) on whatever the sides will be.

Generally I go with aromatic-based, with fairly hefty herb components then spice(s) to finish it off.

Do you have a plan for the meal in mind?
    Kevin

TVWBB Fan
    Originally posted by K Kruger:
    I tend to base this sort of thing (or what I decide to do for a rub) on whatever the sides will be.

Generally I go with aromatic-based, with fairly hefty herb components then spice(s) to finish it off.

Do you have a plan for the meal in mind?
    Nothing fancy - southern peas, scalloped potatoes, slaw, sandwich rolls, and cornbread will probably be the sides. Suggestions would be appreciated.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    Maybe something apple based, with a little citrus; onion with a little ginger; sage, thyme, a little bay; peppercorn.
    Kevin

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast