Need Some Help - Beef Short Ribs

Robert Clark

TVWBB Pro
I bought some beef short ribs and need help on how to handle them.

I was going to treat them like babybacks, but have read they would take to a pretty strong marinade.

I am also a little confunsed at to what kind of beef ribs they actually are. Here are some pics.
IMG_2306.jpg
IMG_2309.jpg

On Webernation.com there is a video showing how to butterfly them. Then you just marinate and grill them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
On Webernation.com there is a video showing how to butterfly them. Then you just marinate and grill them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks that recipe looks good.

Anyone have any suggestions how to cook them on the WSM?

I'm going to do three racks of them tomorrow on my 22.5 WSM ... never done them before. My plan is to inject them with Butchers Brisket injection and smoke to 195 using Cherry wood

George has got the winning combo, both the seasoning and the cooking he recommends will result in absolute candy!!
icon_razz.gif
...this is one of the cases in meat preparation where less is more
icon_wink.gif
Short ribs done this way are a gourmet delight
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i just salt and pepper them and then smoke until a fork goes in the meat easily. about 3-4 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm with george on this one. Easy to cook up and the finished product is outstanding!

Havent got to these yet.

Planned to do them yesterday, but woke up sick as a dog and today isnt much better either.

I'll post pics when I cook them.

Do you guys trim any of the fat off, or do you just cook them the way they look in Robert's pictures?

I am assuming that small pieces like this would cook for 3-4 hours at low heat (225-250). Higher heat (275-300) would probably cook too fast. I am correct? I measure temp at the vent.

Back