Boneless square cut shoulder boston butt......

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Howdy it's been a whike...Has anyone here heard of a square cut butt? Or better yet has anyone ever smoked/cooked one? I work in a food service warehouse, and can get them for a $1.40 a pound. 4 cryo vac'd butts to a case, cases are running between 26 to 34 pounds. Some are kinda flat looking, like a slab almost. And others are thicker more round like. They are not netted. Any suggestions?

the meat man mentions square cut butts. looks like it's just named for the way the meat is cut. so if i'm reading this correctly i think all butts are square cut.

i'm sure someone on here has heard the term before and will comment.

Hi, as long as it's not packed in a solution and it's pork butt, shoulder, boston butt. It's going to Q-up real fine. Have a good one.

Picked them up today at work. Me and my buddy split a case. To me they look alot like a brisket. If there is such thing as a pork brisket. They are about 8 lbs. a piece. Took a few pics to see if anyone recognizes the cut, but with a different name....Take it easy.

P.S.....Don't mind the mess on the computer desk, lol.

Looks like a normal boneless pork butt to me. Buy 'em up! Unless you see 'em for a better price.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill-

You got butts! "Square cut" is standard term that essentially means skin off, false lean exposed (usually exposed a bit more than your pic), neck removed with both half moon muscles removed (one or both are often left on butts so they're not as closely trimmed as squares).

Enjoy your cooks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted March 02, 2006 05:32 PM
false lean exposed (usually exposed a bit more than your pic) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
O.K. I'll bite. What the heck does that mean, lol?
Will these require tying, or are they all set to go?....Take it easy.

False lean is a spot (there are two on pork sides, one on the butt, on on the loin) where the is a thin layer of lean between fat layers. On the butt (if they are closely trimmed) some fat is removed to expose the false lean. On loins, when the bones are removed the false lean is then removed if the roast is going to be packaged closely trimmed.

If your butts were trimmed closely (neck meat removed and so forth) then you probably won't need to tie but you'll need to see how everything looks when you open the package. If it's nice and neat you're good to go. If you've got flaps of meat hanging then tie to make the roast more uniform.

Back