Painting a WSM

Harry F

Has anyone ever painted a WSM?

I posted in another thread (Reflectix thread) That I had Reflectix melt to my WSM and now it looks horrible and I was thinking about sanding it and then painting it.

Alternately, anyone know how to get melted reflectix off of my WSM?

Yea either Goof Off or Goo Gone, I get em mixed up but one or both should work.
Good luck.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harry F:
Has anyone ever painted a WSM?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I personally would be hesitant to do it, unless the original porcelain enameled coating was removed to the metal, and another porcelain enameled coating was applied in a different color. I'd never replace an essentially rust-proof coating for one that wasn't the same.

I'd be hesitant to sand the porcelain coating. Goo-off might work or you might try a solvent such as denatured alcohol with light pressure using a fine scotch pad (maroon or white) to minimize scratching. If the DA doesn't work you might try acetone. Be sure to use gloves in well-vented area. These solvents nasty. I'm not sure what the solvents would do to the paint. You could try it on a very small area first.

I would not sand it, it won't come off.
Its porcelanized and thus is very hard. Its more of a coating than a paint. I would think that you would need to grind it off.. Not easy or a dood idea
If you heat up the grill, yuo may be able to clean off the melted material. The surface of the weber should be forgiving to chemiclas and such..

Yea, I was thinking acetone on a larger area would work also and be allot cheaper.
And as Gary pointed out, use in a well ventilated area and always make sure you are using proper PPE!
icon_wink.gif

Tim

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't want to remove the porcelain enamel, just the melted reflectix. I know that I won't be able to get it all off and I would like for it to be pretty again. Right now it looks like a mess.

Harry,

Get a can of 3M Adhesive Remover at your local auto parts store. Soak the tape in it for awhile then use a plastic putty knife to remove. If it doesn't work the first time repeat the above. It's pretty powerful stuff and will not hurt the finish. I've used it to remove old decals from boats and cars and it works pretty good. Worth a try.

Just thought of another cleaner that might work. Good ole Easy Off oven cleaner. Sure cleans oven porcelain well.

Scotty W.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
I know I'll be piled on for this suggestion, why not use a razor blade scraper? It should get under the melted on plastic and should not damage/scratch the porcelain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Piled on? Not at all... I'll second the motion. I've used a razor blade scraper to help clean the porcelain around the burners on my kitchen range.

I know a guy that had some of his 18" WSM's powder coated. I'll try to find some pics and download them.
Sorry to hear that the Reflectix melted on your bullet-you should post a pic as a warning to those that think it is heat resistant.

Back