Bacon Cured/Meat Overhauling Question

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
I'm thinking that if I were to put the cure on the bacon then slip it into a Zip bag and seal. You want to remove as much air as possible so why not use the container filled with water to remove the excess air and then just leave the bacon in the Zip bag in the water filled container and palce it in the fridge for the reccomended cure time. No need to flip and massage the cure through the bag with your hands on a daily basis.
Here's what I'm thinking. Rub cure on Belly/Loins, Pastrami, or whatever and palce in a Zip bag. Place closed bag in a cold water filled bucket and open the bag a little to remove all the air, and close up. You shouldn't need any weight with all the air removed, but make sure it's submerged and weigh down if needed. Put in fridge for desired cure time, no flipping and massaging every day. Jus remove after X amount of days. Thoughts?

The issue would be gravity I think.

If the pressure from the water is sufficient to keep the cure--and the liquid that the meat exudes after some time--fairly evenly distributed then it should work. If gravity is stronger then the cure and the resulting liquid will pool at the bottom of the bag.

Back