Oysters

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
A friend of mine just came by and dropped off about 30 oysters. I am going to make them up tomorrow night, just wondering if anyone has any recomendations? Thanks!

Clark

Fresh oysters, bread and butter, salt & pepper, squeeze of lemon. if you want to get fancy. Otherwise - No cooking just enjoy raw with several glasses of cold Chardonnay just the way God and Bacchus intended.

regards

French style - make a migonette sauce (oil and vinegar with shallots).

American Style - horseradish and tabasco. Serve on a saltine.

Like Phil, I prefer mine raw with a bit of lemon, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Rogers:
Like Phil, I prefer mine raw with a bit of lemon, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That gets my vote as well.

just read a cool article about infusing flavors into oysters the "natural" way. They dunked the oysters into pickle juice for about 3 hours and let the little filter feeders "feed" on the brine. The result was an oyster with a hint of pickle. I'm not sure why they couldn't just add a drop of pickle juice onto a freshly shuck one, but it sure was a neat idea that took advantage of what oysters do best.

I like mine straight up with a dash of lemon. I was at a fancy raw bar that had freshly grated horseradish, that was good stuff, but not often readily available.

I forgot about the last way I had them.
Fresh in a shot glass with a 1/2 nip of Vodka and topped with Bloody Mary mix and a squeeze of lemon. I had to have a dozen of them at $4.00 a shot - was it worth it. Yes, Yes Yes.

Cheers

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up doing half of them au natural and the other half on the half shell with some crumbled prosciutto and spinach and topped with asiago cheese. Baked them for about 5 minutes to warm them up and melt the cheese. Good stuff both ways!

Clark

Clark,

Sorry that I did not see this sooner but I'll give you my favorite way to do oysters for you to consider in the future.

I shuck them and put the oysters on their half shell onto my broiler pan. Then sprinkle each oyster with a bit of Absolut Citron and top each with about 1 teaspoon of blue cheese. Broil until edges start to curl and serve. Yummy.

Ray

Raw - this time of year, wash 'em down with some Green Beer (preferrably Miller!).

Otherwise, if the weather is nasty and you have the time to screw-around with them: There's a smallish bistro place out here that makes "Oysters Rockefeller", they heat them up in a jelly-roll pan that is partially filled with rock salt and aromatic spices (allspice & cloves). It smells fantastic when they are pulled from the oven. Good with extra dry bubbly.....

Back