weird peeling after long cook

Shaun H

TVWBB Fan
After a long cook yesterday, I took a look at my WSM today and saw inside of it a whole LOT of flaking all throughout the cooker....and the entire lid and other parts are filled with what looks like peeled off brown paint that is some stuck still to the inner surface, but lots floating around the rest of the inside.

I have no idea what this is and have never seen it before. Any help?

Yep. The brown will become black over time. Scrape it off, knock it off or blast it with the hose. You just don't want it raining down on your food so be most dilligent of the lid.

Does it happen all the time? I just did another cook yesterday, and had it again.

I had prolly done maybe 10 other cooks previous and never had it at all. Now its twice in a row. What is it? Will it be like this every time for now on?

I only notice the brown stuff in the lid if I use water. If I use the clay saucer I don't notice it.

Where do you get a clay saucer at? I have read about that, what are the advantages to that? Clean up? How do you use it?

You can get a clay saucer at any Lowe's or Home Depot or similar store - I can't remember the correct size, but I'm sure someone can fill you in on it. It's basically the bottom "platter" portion of a ceramic/clay flower pot - the part the actual flower pot sits in and collects water from the pot.

As for advantages - I've found it's more consistent that water in the pan, and it saves on charcoal, as you're not wasting heat energy to boil water. And with a clay saucer you don't have to add water during a long cook (the saucer sits inside the very top of the water pan, and almost no one uses both water and the saucer at the same time). As for cleanup, it's as easy as could be: just wrap the saucer with aluminum foil before beginning the cook. When you're done, crumple up the foil and toss it in the trash.

Thanks Chris.

I though the water helped with adding moisture to the cook. Is any of that lost?

Otherwise this sounds like a great alternative!

The stuff is just carbon and psrticulate deposits. Brush it out of your lid well. It does seem to develop more when water is used, likely to due to increased humidity.

That said, and though increased humidity does not "add moisture" to meat, I much prefer water over clay. Most of my cooks are over 300 degrees so I use nothing in the pan, but when I want to low/slow I like water's better heat sink capabilities. Yes, it takes energy to convert water to steam but that's the point. And precisely why I prefer it. Others prefer clay.

Back