New kid on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm the new kid, just getting into the BBQ/Smoking arena. I've got A Brinkmann Bullet style and a Brinkmann Smoke n'Pit pro. I'm pleased with both. I've tried a variety of things in the bullet style from Salmon to big Turkeys with relative luck ( all was edible at least).
I like my Smoke n Pit the best so far, but I do have one question. My charcoal seems to "ash out" and bury any coals beneath it. Any ideas on how to
resolve this.
I will admit that I must hang my head in shame at my last brisket attempt. Dry and tough! I hated ruining a good hunk of meat.
Any ideas, advice or otherwise words of wisdom you can send my way will always be appreciated!
And you can even laugh a little if you like!

Michael
You can use something like a expanded metal piece on the fire grate to help keep the coals up out of the ash pan longer or use lump charcoal which produces less ash.
There are a lot of good folks on the board that will be glad to help and they won't laugh to loud.
Jim

Michael...Hello and welcome to the boards!

Have you ever seen or done any of the mods for your off-set? I will post them on the Just Conversation board. These mods can increase the efficiency of those units.

WOW!
Thanks guys! I'm impressed. Two of the All-Stars
right out of the chute.
You guys really know how to make a newbie feel welcome!
I'm looking forward to checking out the modifications and have enjoyed reading all the previous posts in the forum.

Hey Jim and Kevin,
Just wanted to Thank you guys again for the GREAT information.
Sorry about my first reply, I think I had a few too many Frosty Barley Pops!
Anyway, I had a chance to check out the smoker mods and they make great sense. I read up on the "Minion Method" and can't wait to give it a try.
Again, Thanks for the warm welcome.

I own both smokers that you are talking about and I just got a WSM. I only wish that I had known about the WSM sooner. After a while, I do get tired of having to play with the fire and I'm married to the smoker and can't go anywhere for more than 45-60 minutes at a time. Also, the darn SNP just uses too much charcoal for me (especially if you smoke every weekend). As far as the ashes in the SNP, just find a way to lift the charcoal grate 3-4 inches higher and that will give you less ash problems and better fire control with the damper. I just took a grate off of a grill that I wasn't using and cut it to length and it fit perfect (it was wider so it didn't sit so low in the firebox). The best mod, is a WSM. This last Sunday I bbq'd in 12* temps for over 10 hrs and wouldn't dare do this with the SNP (unless I wanted to use 3 times the charcoal). I only wish the WSM was 3-4 inches wider and then it would probably be the perfect cooker for me. Either way, I'm thrilled and it is as advertised and worth the money. No matter how many mods I made to that SNP I could only truely use have the cooking chamber for true bbq and it wouldn't hold temp much longer than 45-60mins and I've got things to do with my life.

Michael, I cooked on a Brinkmann Gourmet bullet smoker for 4 years before I bought a WSM. I made some modifications to the Brinkmann that greatly improved its operation, including installing a charcoal grate to keep the ashes from smothering the coals. I also added a sliding cover over the air vent to let me control the temperature, and a real thermometer. As a result, I was able to hold temperatures in the 225-250 range for up to 6 hours at a time, with little or no attention from me. You can see the modifications I made at this website: http://community.webshots.com/album/85230444qwxKGC

Welcome to the VWBB!

Are you sure you guys are not on the WSM payroll?? LOL
My Brinkmanns are starting to develop a complex!
Actually, I wish I had run into this forum long ago. I'm sure I'd be cooking on a WSM at this point.
As it stands, I think I'll have to suffer through a few years of using these Brinkmanns
before I can upgrade to a new WSM. I think the wife might shoot me and throw me on the grill if I bought another Grill or smoker. The back yard is starting to look like a used Grill lot.
Thanks for all the great advice. I can see where it will help already!

Now if I can only come up with a cool, catchy
sign off line like you real pros use! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Michael,

Welcome!

I'm new too.

You're gonna love all the helpful info this forum can provide, and you're BBQ results will improve fast.

One thing about BBQ, is that great BBQ has been done for years, before the advent of the bullet-shaped smokers. So great BBQ, is not hardware specific.

However, for novice folks engaging in the BBQ arts /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif , I believe the bullet-shaped smokers are easiest to operate and can yield good results immediately.

Case in point...

A colleague of mine at work bought an off-set firebox type of smoker. For the last 6 months he has smoked meat about every other weekend. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif This is good!

He has been wrestling with all sorts of heat issues, and the resulting meat flavor and quality has varied. Ya, he's a novice guy, and I believe he is tweaking too many things at once, so he can't lock down a solid formula for cooking. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I've encouraged him to buy a WSM and plug into this forum for cooking recommendations. But he's determined to wrestle. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Its been my limited experience that the WSM is a quick way to produce great BBQ fast. With the help of this forum, all you need to do is follow directions. No fuss, no muss. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Good luck Michael!

Michael- Didn't mean to give your smokers a complex. But, the WSM is the real deal. However, at first it is hard to spend the $179 while you've got two extra smokers already. The way I looked at it, I want to smoke darned near every weekend (and this makes it very possible) and if I'm going to smoke that much why not save money on charcoal (the WSM will probably pay for itself within the next two years and should last for a heck of a longtime with minimal care). It's just that owning on of these WSM's is like being in a whole new world and I think all of us owners want to share it with everyone. Both the WSM and Brinkmans will put out good BBQ, but the WSM just makes it easier (and cheaper with less charcoal usage). As they say, it's not the arrow, it's the indian.

Michael,

I too came here looking for tips and didn't own a WSM at first. I was not using the Brinkman, but a New Braunfels offset.

You'll find that many of the recipes and tips here apply to BBQ in general, regardless of cooker. The theories are the same in terms of recipes, temps, cooking times, etc. Only the hardware is different.

There are great cooks here, and incredibly talented and nice people, too. You can really learn a lot.

Be forewarned. You will eventually be brainwashed and buy a WSM. You have no contol over this. Reistance is futile.

I think I was able to last maybe 6 months or so before I broke down and bought a WSM. Since then, I got rid of the offset and now the WSM and the kettle are all I use.

Welcome and enjoy!

Hey, you guys might not realize it, but you guys a theraputic as well.
Just got in from one of those @#$%&*$#@ days at works, checked my email and I've already got a smile on my face and a better attitude. I think my wife, kids and dogs owe you guys a THANK YOU!
Thanks again for all the great advice. Every bit has been printed out and stuck in a notebook!
Hope you all dont start charging, cuz I'll go broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back