Plastic wrap

G

Has anyone use the professional plastic wrap from BJ or Sam? I want to know how high of temperture can the plastic handle before it melt or becomes brittle.

Not sure about the stuff from Sam's, but I think I've read on this site to go with Saran Wrap "Original Recipe", as it handles hotter heat than anything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">According to championship barbecue expert Paul Kirk, "Saran Wrap Original" brand plastic film (previously sold under the name "Saran Wrap Classic") will withstand temperatures of 250-260°F before melting. Other Saran products like "Saran Wrap Cling" and other brands of plastic film may not stand up to these temperatures. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saran "Original" is no longer (though you still might see some on shelves). It's now Saran "Premium" a thicker formulation. Though there is some controversy about dioxin migration from plastic when used in a microwave, Saran does not use dioxins in its formula, nor do they use any chlorine. They also don't use DEHA or DEHP plasticizers in the wrap, nor in Ziploc bags (made by the same company). Although only microwave-safe plastics should be used in a microwave (many aren't; the label or packaging material should say so), you can remove food from its plastic packaging and use a glass plate or bowl. Of course, that's not always practical. But even microwave-safe plastic film can melt if it's in contact with food during the microwaving, especially if the contact is with fat or sugar. Film shouldn't touch food during microwaving.

I've always liked Saran's quality. Not interested in the cheap stuff.

When I attend the Paul Kirk class 2 weeks ago, we used professional plastic wrap. It was not scran wrap. I used it to cook sauage and it came out great. No chemical taste and did not melt. I want to do it again but not sure if the BJ or Sam brand will be safe.

We used the plastic to wrap the grounded pork. We shaped the grounded pork to look like a sauage. Paul Kirk said if you do not have enough fat in the pork you can leave the plastic on until the meat set. We left ours on for the entire cook. 30-40 minutes around 235 degrees.

It's always seemed to me that the difference between 'professional' wrap and standard was merely the size of the roll, something I've always found irritating. I insisted on Saran in commercial kitchens which annoyed my staff to no end because it wasn't available in large rolls. Maybe that's changed since then...

Anyway, I agree that you can leave the wrap on till the meat sets, but I wouldn't leave it on for the cook, regardless of brand. Just my opinion, but I'm not comfortable with plastic on food at dry heat temps over 200, or in water over a simmer. Others may differ.

Back