Frozen Ribs - Coming Up!

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
It's been a long time since I've cooked ribs. I stopped in a BBQ restaurant this Monday & when I saw the prices for ribs I decided to get the ribeye "cheese steak".

So I picked some up @ the store & like a dumb@55, froze them. I put them in the fridge last night but they're solid as a rock.

Well the spares are going on anyway.

I plan to cook around 300F (dome) for I dunno - 5 hours? I'm not planning on using foil but maybe I should since the fire's going to be hotter, the meat cooler, etc, plus it's a big untrimmed rack of spares.

Minimal seasonings after it thaws.

I haven't picked the smoke wood yet (I have hickory, apple, cherry, & mesquite).

One thing I did, probably the only thing that makes this cook worth posting, is I put the lower grate directly on the fire ring & cooked up a couple of NY steaks for lunch - worked out pretty well
icon_smile.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if these aren't the best ribs you have ever cooked Clint. Sometimes things go best when they go wrong! Can't wait to see pics.
icon_smile.gif

Gotta agree with Shane, Clint!

Just something about the way you worded your post tells me you have a good grasp of the situation.

Enjoy,

JimT

here's what made it 6.5 hours, at this point I took another 4-5 bones & made my dinner plate, & put the thick chunk back on the WSM.

I didn't wind up putting anything on the meat rub-wise. I used Mesquite & Apple, the smoke flavor was there but a little light. The only BBQ sauce I have @ home is some Bastardized Piedmont (fat johnny's) & some random, unopened brand that I keep in the cabinet for camping. So I ate these un-rubbed, un-sauced ribs dry, & they were good! I had them with brussel sprouts & baked sweet potato fries.

The NY strip roast I cut my steaks from earlier hand a ~3/4 bone so I got a bit of beef ribs today too - Rib Heaven 'round here
icon_smile.gif

http://www.facebook.com/photo....fb66f5&id=1290367307

Thanks for the comments guys.

& Jim, regarding your sig: "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

I've earned LOTS of good judgement.
icon_wink.gif

Classic

I put a frozen butt on this weekend, came out fine after about 10 hours. Couldn't tell the difference between thawed and frozen when it was all said and done.

they were really delicious. $10 rack of ribs was featured in at least 5 of my meals. Next time I'll make some #5, other than that they were great.

I think from now on I'll trim to St Louis style & cook the scraps along side the meat. I'll also try 3-2-1 at least once, I don't believe I've ever foiled a rib but it worked like a charm on HH brisket so I'll give it a shot.

Back