Buying brisket in L.A.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Any suggestions on where I can buy a full untrimmed brisket in L.A., preferably West L.A. (Santa Monica, Culver City, Brentwood, Marina Del Rey areas)? My nearby grocery stores only offer trimmed flats, and look at me funny when I request a full untrimmed brisket. Costco only offers trimmed flats.

Thanks!!

Go to Smart and Final, my friend. Most of the bigger ones have cryovac briskets in the 10-12 lb range that are untrimmed.

I usually go to the S&F in Burbank but I'm pretty sure the one on Pico near the 405 has them.

Bill

Grill w/ Bill,

I just have one thing to say to you... SHHHHHHHH!

I am always on the westside and that Smart & Final on Pico over by Sepulveda & the 405 FWY has been an absolute gold mine for me.

They have a large meat section and almost always have 20 briskets in the case. They usually have a Chuck Roll or two as well.

I used to be able to pick thru them and get so really nice ones.

Anyway, since you let the cat out of the bag, I now have competiton for them... Thanks man! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the tip!!!!

Spyro- I wouldn't worry too much. I'm from Texas, and the main reason I bought a WSM was so that I could make a sorely missed staple, brisket. Especially since I haven't found ANY decent BBQ stands in L.A., much less one with brisket. That tells me not many people or places buy it... although there are a lot of pastrami stands out here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Aubin:
[qb] Any suggestions on where I can buy a full untrimmed brisket in L.A., preferably West L.A. (Santa Monica, Culver City, Brentwood, Marina Del Rey areas)? My nearby grocery stores only offer trimmed flats, and look at me funny when I request a full untrimmed brisket. Costco only offers trimmed flats.

Thanks!! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can get full untrimmed briskets at Smart & Final and at Stater Bros. These are both SELECT grade, though. I don't have a good source for CHOICE. But I find SELECT to be adequate.

Tom,

I have found a couple of sources for both choice and prime brisket. However, if you want decent prices, none of my contacts are retail operations.

There are a couple of commercial meat cutters down in the Vernon/Mayfair and they will offer brisket up at very reasonable prices.

Believe it or not, in many areas of LA, it is MUCH easier to find high quality kosher brisket than high quality normal brisket. On the other hand, the price of kosher brisket, oy vey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back