Piedmont Pan/Foiled H2O Pan etc ????

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Let me see if i understand this. The Piedmont Pan is used to keep the temps lower on the lower cooking grate not using water.

Foiled empty H2O Pan (maybe some foil crumpled up, then covered with tin foil) is for cooking on the top grate with out H2O so you will use less charcoal (longer burn times with same amt of charcoal less fire maintance), as well as get the temps up for a higher heat cook if desired. I believe cooking with empty H2O pan, it's harder to maintain constant lower temps, how about 250-275 lid temps, are they manageable with no water in the pan for longer cooks 6 to 10 maybe 12 hours? Just want to make sure, Thanks John

Not exactly, as the adman said. Piedmont is just another strategy used by some to aid in controlling temps in the whole smoker, not just the bottom grate.
Not exactly again. An empty water pan will aid in getting to higher temps, not just on the top grate. If you go that route, make sure the foil is contoured to the shape of the water pan, more or less, to catch drippings.
Yes, if you are looking for lower temps, you'ld want more of a heat sink than just the empty pan. That's where water, clay saucer etc etc come into play.However, some say they just foil the water pan and use it empty for all their cooks, I've seen that too. Their experience allows them to maintain control of temps with just the foiled pan.
I'm pretty new here too. I'm just relating some of what I've gotten from the forums here.
Did I make matters worse? Others will show up and post, don't worry about that. Of course, that is good.
Dave

Dave
I understand what your saying. I want to try a low temp cook Pork Butt or briskett, for 10 hours or so with out any water. I plan on foiling the pan, putting in some crumped up foil and covering (foil),the top portion of the pan. Leaving room in the top layer of foil for the pan drippings, or maybe a tin foil pie pan on top. I will have to tell you i cooked a Butt over the weekend for about 6 hrs with water in the pan, temps held steady a 250 ish the whole cook once the temps stabilized no adjustment at all. Just tap the charcoal bowl a few times to knock the ashes off. didn't even have to add water, have that large brinkmann pan. Couldn't be any easier than that. John

Start with plenty of fuel in the ring. Use the Minion method. Start shutting down oxygen as you approach 200* then watch where it goes and further adjust from there as it settles in. Get your meat on cold as soon as you add the lit coals. Smoke away and see how it goes.
If you show your location in your profile, it might help others in answering you with more accurate information

Dave I'll see how to show my location in my profile. I live in North eastern Pa. Gets pretty cold in the winter. i usually don't cook if it's under 25 degrees. i'll follow your advise.
thanks john

Hang in there with those butts and packer briskets. They can take some time. Good luck

John, I really do not think you need the foil balls. Just foil the pan and leave an inch or so space between the foil and the bottom of the water pan. Same effect, just saves foil.

John,

Got the answer to you question. Yes you can maintain a 260 - 275 temp with a standard pan w/ no water. I've done it the last couple times I cooked butts on the bullet. I did this out of pure lazyness. When I assembled the cooker, I forgot to add water, and my normmal watering can was a frozen hunk. Didn't feel like unthawing it or digging up something else, so I just used the vents...two closed, one mostly closed (then again, mine are REALLY banged up, so none of the vents close off very well anymore). I'd say that the temperature fluctuated a little more than with water in the pan, but i didn't pay particular attention to it.

Don't bother with the foil balls. Can't put enough of them in that space to offer enough mass that would make a difference.

Joe
Thanks, I'll give it a try, do you think you can go longer on a load of charcoal with no water in the pan also. I'm thinking about an overnight cook. John

John,

I've done long cooks this method, but not overnight...I've started at like 6am and finished between 5 and 6 pm. No reason couldn't be done overnight.

Don't know about the using less fuel hypothesis. I'm trying to adopt a new policy of not letting the little things factor into my worries and encourage others to do the same. generate a data point by just doing it. I could argue either side of that issue. One thing for sure, I wouldn't cut back on any charcoal for the cook...full ring, Minion start.

Joe
I won't cut back on the charcoal. my thinking was if the charcoal lasts longer with out refueling maybe my fire wouldn't go out over night while I'm sleeping. John

John, you are making this too difficult. Just fire that puppy up and let it hunt. I assure you on the big scale your cook will be no less than, " best I have had in a long time."

I also just use a foiled stock pan (no water) and adjust vents a little to control temps. I also began cooking most everything at higer temps.

butt and ribs high 280-290ish.

brisket, low 300s

John

Back