Granulated Onion?

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
I have a recipe calling for granulated onion. Problem is, I've heard of (and have) granulated garlic, but I can't seem to locate granulated onion around these parts.

My question is, can I grind my minced (dehydrated) onion in a spice grinder to a consistency similar to granulated garlic and hope to achieve the same flavor profile as granulated onion proper?

That's what I've done in the past. Not perfect but it works. Problem is in the grinder your going to have a hard time not ending up with some fine powder as well as a mix of pieces.

You can order it from Penzeys. Good stuff, order it along with some other spices.

If I didn't have access to it, I'd just use onion powder.

Regards,
Chris

I like the granulated onion just for the fact it doesn't clump as bad as the powdered onion.

Paul, I agree. Like the way it presents in a rub: however I wouldn't freak and not do a cook because of the lack of "granulated" onion.

Paul, funny you should mention that - yesterday I was making up a rub for a Santa Maria-style tri-tip I was grilling today, and as the recipe called for onion powder, I went to my trusty spice rack and HOLY TOLEDO, I thought I'd need a jack hammer to get that piece of concrete busted up to extract it from the container.....

I've had granulated onion clump up too, but have had no problem with it since I began storing the jar in the freezer.

Rita

Good idea Rita. I've even gone to the extent of putting those little desiccant(?) packs into the jar to control the moisture.

Originally posted by Rita Y:
I've had granulated onion clump up too, but have had no problem with it since I began storing the jar in the freezer.

Rita
Interesting. I've never seen it clump, but then again McCormick powder does seeming like granulated. Guess I've never had real onion powder

Jeff, I've gotten a few large clumps which do break down when you shake the container but nothing compared to the rock hard strata I used to get with onion powder
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by paul h:
Jeff, I've gotten a few large clumps which do break down when you shake the container but nothing compared to the rock hard strata I used to get with onion powder
icon_biggrin.gif

Your problem is you don't use it enough
icon_wink.gif
so it doesn't have a chance to harden. Garlic powder has the same issues.

Use it or lose it.

Len, you're absolutely right on that!!Hate to say it but Some of the onion powder I've had at the house has more age then some bottles of wine that I've bought
icon_biggrin.gif

Back