pork shoulder vs butt cooking time

Calle

I just received a pork shoulder from my butcher weighing in at 17lb. Usually it takes me around 18 hours for a butt half that size. Should I double the estimated cooking time for the whole shoulder?

Consider that, although the weight has doubled, the thickness hasn't increased proportionally. It's like you have a butt and a picnic side-by-side, and just connected together on one side. It might take a little more time than the average 8.5 pound, but again, mostly as a result of the hit that much meat will initially put on the cooker temp.

I imagine you'll be looking at a finish time in the area of 22 to 24 hours. I would probably do the cook with sand rather than water, but don't used that technique if you're not familiar and comfortable with it. With water, I would start with less than a full pan of water and use HOT water. That will put more of the energy into bringing up the internal temp of that large heat sink and get you into cooking temp range sooner. You can then add more water. Certainly be sure the shoulder is at room temp when you start.

Paul

Thaks guys. I just put it on just after 5pm EST and hope it will be ready for dinner time tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by calle:
Thaks guys. I just put it on just after 5pm EST and hope it will be ready for dinner time tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

5pm? Wow!! Keep your temps down. That thing could be ready for breakfast!

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:

5pm? Wow!! Keep your temps down. That thing could be ready for breakfast!

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>All depends on the cook temp. At 225-235, it could very well take a good 18-20 hours. Just sort of depends on the meat. My guess is that at a very minimum it would take 15-16 hours. And that piece of meat, wrapped tightly in foil and put in a warm cooler will stay piping hot for a good 5 hours.

Back