Sides for Grilled Salmon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bblake

TVWBB Member
Howdy ya'll. We are doing some grilled salmon over alder soon. I'm wondering what sort of sides you would recommend go with this?

I can think of - seasoned broiled potatoes & thats about it! Thanks!

Hmm, I like dill with salmon so maybe you could make a dijon/dill potato salad. I like to kick mine up with a little bit of chopped crispy bacon for a little surprise.

At the same time, I don't like my sides to be too much heavier than the main course and potatoes may do that. Maybe try a salad with a maple vinaigrette. http://www.greensense.com/Features/Green_cuisine/balsam...le%20vinaigrette.htm

For an appetizer, try some seafood in phyllo. This recipe looks interesting: http://www.joanneweir.com/recipes/reci_tapa_p226.html

The sky's the limit really.... I guess a lot of it will come down to personal taste.

You might look at the Broccoli Sweet Onion Pecan Salad below - I've done it with smoked salmon before and it turned out very good.

Just for smething different, here's something I've done with my salmon almost every time I make it, along with roasted sweet potatoes. We think the flavor goes very well with salmon. The first version is our favorite. The 2nd version is my grandmother's favorite - she likes the creaminess. Either way, the sweet-tart crispness of the veggies works well with fish.

(I'll put these over in the side dishes category as well - keri)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Thai-Style Cucumber Salad

Recipe By :Cooking Light, Jul/Aug 1994, page 84
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:05
Categories : Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup white vinegar
3 cups peeled thinly sliced cucumber
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 teaspoon peeled grated gingerroot
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic -- crushed

Dissolve sugar in boiling water in a small bowl. Add vinegar; cover and chill 2 hours.

Combine cucumber and next 9 ingredients in a bowl. Pour chilled vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture; toss gently. Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 41 Calories; trace Fat (2.7% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 222mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lizas' Cucumber Salad

Recipe By :Liza Jane- Original
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Bbq List Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 long cucumber
1 Vidalia onion -- or any sweet onion

Combine in a bowl, the sour cream, sugar , vinegar, salt, pepper and celery seed. Clean and slice cucumbers and onion in thin slices. Add to dressing mixture and toss to coat. Let sit in fridge for about 2 hours to develop flavor.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 84 Calories; 6g Fat (63.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 151mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Well, we tried the salmon last night - Made steaks out of a fillet & coated w/melted butter, sprinkled w/course salt, & sprinkled lemon pepper on them. Put them in a grill basket & over medium coals for about 10 minutes/side, finished off w/a melted lemon butter....

We used apple chips for smoking, as the alder i found was very expensive! The salmon steaks came out way, way, way great...probably my best tasting grill effort yet....

We went w/the roasted potatoes & a cold balsamic pasta dish trying out the different sides...the pasta won! The potatoes were a little heavy, but the pasta was just right...now to find a good veggie...will probably go w/asparagus or something like that....

thanks for all your help!

Here's two INCREDIBLE ideas for salmon and a side salad:

Balsamic Glaze for Grilled Salmon Filletts
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. packed brown sugar

Comtin ingredients in medium saucepan. Boil unreduced to 1/3 cup, about 15-17 minutes. Season to taste with s and p. Drizzle over grilled fillets.

Jicama Slaw/Salad

1/2 cup red onion
2 cup julienne jicama
1 cup julienne red pepper
2 T. cilantro

Toss all ingredients in this dressing:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
1 T. Chopped cilantro
1 t. garlic
2 t. salt and pepper mix

Whisk together for salad.

An AWESOME combination. Nice cold salad with a crunch next to warm/sweet and tangy fillets!

Wasabi Mayonnaise, dilled cucumber relish, grilled brussels sprouts, grilled fresh beets with onions and garlic, or a spiced parsley mayonnaise.

Potato salads and asian slaws as listed above are also great, lite accompaniments. Some people like a dipping sauce as well, hence the mayos.

Today with grilled salmon, I made two sides, stir fried snap peas with garlic and wok sauteed zucchini and yellow squash. I like a lot of constrast on my plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back