Need tips for Pork Crown Rib Roast in WSM

David Ward

TVWBB Fan
Ok, I've been so busy with christmas stuff I have not smoked anything over a week (heaven forbid!!!). So the wife came back from the store today all beaming with glee at her find. A nice "crown" rack of bone in pork standing rib roast. It's already cut, shapped and tied into the round crown with nice 1 1/2" to 2" thick "chops". She said this will be our new years center piece for dinner.

Anything special I need to know about smoking a standing crown pork rib roast? Since it is partially cut and butterflied open in the crown shape I don't think it would take too long to heat to temp throughout and there is a lot of surface area to collect the smoke and rub flavor. I'm thinking about a variation on the honey-mustard-jack daniels-sugar rub before smoking this baby, with a nice fat vidalia onion in the middle.

Good Morning David...

I live in Jesup, Georgia, which is in Vidalia onion growing region... Toward the end of the season you can buy 50 pounds of Vidalia onions for little of nothing... We found that cutting a Vidalia onion in fourths and putting it on the hot coals makes a great smoke...
icon_wink.gif

bugg
icon_biggrin.gif
loves a good onion

My brother-in-law used to live in Eastern Oregon which is fine onion country. During harvest time, he would just drive along and collect what he called road kill onions...tom

David--

On the pork front: The only thing to remember, really, is not to overcook the roast. Since your roast is not loaded with marbling set your target internal appropriately (I like 150 for a high-heat cook (which I do for crowns). a bit higher for a low/slow). I always brine crowns and that might be something you'd wish to consider.

Enjoy it.

Back