What do you guys think of these drum grills/smokers?

Sean White

I've always been intrigued by the idea of getting a 55-gallon based cooker for larger cookouts and parties, etc.

I was perusing through Craig's list, and I found this web-site that offers custom grills and smokers.

The "Broiler-Maker" looks particularly interesting to me, as it appears to use a direct/indirect cooker on the bottom, and a smoker barrel up top.

What do you guys think?

http://chaneysgrills.com/gallery.html

In my experience with them most are made of thin metal and have gaps all over the place.

For the smoker versions, a 22" WSM is much better. Add a 3rd grate and you have a lot of capacity.

The grill versions are nice to have a lot more area to grill on, but I have my 26" for that
icon_smile.gif

Toby Keil, a member on this site has one and he swears by it. I know a few other people on another site that have them too and they all love their Chaney grills too. I almost picked up one myself but decided to get a Santa Maria style grill instead.

I've already got two weber kettles and a Weber Smokey mountain.

I just think this would be a versatile grill to have for larger cooks.

I'd love to hear from anybody that has a Chaney grill. This guy lives pretty close to me and the price is right.

So, in looking at the Broiler Maker grill, am I right in assuming that the top chamber is a smoker, and that the bottom half is the direct/indirect cooker and also doubles as the smoke chamber?

interesting. they do look like they are well made. the prices are not that far off considering the work and material used. not for me though.

Those look well made and appear to be made from standard 55 drum, perhaps a bit smaller. I have a CharGriller which I like for grilling and it has about the same cook area as the Chaney, but the CharGrillers are made from some pretty thin metal. When I need to replace it I'll deffintely look into these Chaney's.

BS

What I'm looking for is a larger grill to do direct/indirect cooking when I have larger gatherings of friends/family at my place. This setup seems to fit the bill pretty well, plus you can smoke in the top chamber as well.

I emailed him -
Nice looking grills.
What do the vent controls for the grill look like?
What do the exhaust vents for the smoker look like?
He sent me this -
"Hello Mr. Russell, if you look on the firebox you will see two sliding doors, these doors are located on the front and rear of the fire box. The exhaust control is located on top of the smoke chimney. Thanks Chaney"

Looks like he'll change that grill into a smoker by adding a firebox on the side.

Pictures -

Hide that bottle of charcoal fluid.
icon_smile.gif

Yeah, that's a unit that he offers with an off-set firebox. I have been talking to him via email as well, and he mentioned that he is currently making a Broiler-Maker unit (upper and bottom barrel) which will use an offset firebox as well.

With that setup, you can smoke in both chambers, or cook direct on the bottom and smoke in the top.

Back