Grilled london broil chili and maple-cured bacon

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Sunday, had a hankering for chili so I grilled up some london broil and set things going. Meanwhile, the 5 lbs of maple-cured pork belly had done its thing in the frig for a week and had dried out for a day. Ready to hot smoke with cherry and hickory.

Adding a bit of color.
IMG_2615.jpg

Into the pot (and yes, that's a habanero floating in there; added another shortly after this shot.)
IMG_2621.jpg

Bacon on. I got the belly from my local Chinese grocer/butcher. They leave some bone in there. When it was all done, I cut that layer out, saving for soup...)
IMG_2617.jpg

Nearly ready!
IMG_2624.jpg

Sliced and fabulous! I recommend the recipe. Perfect saltiness and flavor.
IMG_2625.jpg

Dinner on with cornbread, home pickled jalapenos , blue chips, a dab of guacamole (heavy on the cilantro), bacon and chili. Good stuff!
IMG_2627.jpg

Thanks for looking and be well everyone.

Super looking pics.
I really like that you have a "set-up" for a bowl of chili. Its all at the ready, on the side...the chips, CB, peps. I'll be over tomorrow with some sour cream and a HUGE bowl.
icon_biggrin.gif

BLT's for appetizers too!

how long of a simmer does it take to get the LB to tender?

looks great. do you have your chili recipe nailed down yet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">blue chips </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is this?!...Tryed to google but i got tired of the poker sites and so on. Jerky of some kind?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">how long of a simmer does it take to get the LB to tender?
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">A couple hours. I prefer chuck, but lb was on sale. It was fine.</span>

looks great. do you have your chili recipe nailed down yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Yup, Beans optional. Maybe I'll post it if I remember. Otherwise PM me. ...Happy to give it out.</span>

And Daniel, I prefer these.

Gary, everything looks EXCELLENT!!
I 'specially love the line<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">heavy on the cilantro </div></BLOCKQUOTE>cuz i ? cilantro and i know many that hate it.
i'll eet it right out of the shopping cart
icon_razz.gif

GoodLookin'Cookin'Gary!

Well that made up for a long time no cook post from Mr H. NJ!

Terrific looking chili and bacon Gary!
Bone-in belly? There ain't no bone in belly!
icon_razz.gif

This looks really good! Haven't made chili for a long time, but seeing this makes me want to make it soon!

Looks great Gary! I'd poke fun at you for having a side of bacon with chili, but I completely understand. It's amazing how many different ways bacon gets served around here when a fresh batch gets smoked.

Back