romano beans vs. pinto beans

r benash

TVWBB Emerald Member
Curious, other than reversal of colors between the two what the real difference is if any? Actually Goya brand, they actually look pretty close to the same as far as coloration. Romano may be a little bigger have more of the lighter field than the darker striping but the colors them selves are very close.

Interested in how or if they (roman beans) are interchanged as equal in Mexican cooking, or how they are used differntly than pinto or if they just use what's available etc.

I think of the Romano bean as an Italian green bean, somewhat flat as opposed to the rounder green bean. I've eaten them pods and all. Are you buying the beans dried and out of the pods? I don't think you'd get the same results substituting the Romano for a pinto if you're thinking of preparing traditional Mexican dishes.
or if they just use what's available etc.
Yes, traditional Mexican and other Latin foods use what is available locally. I don't think the Romano bean is native to Latin America.

Paul

Agree I thought Romanos are eaten like green beans.

Are you sure you didn't mean Peruano Beans which are a golden color? The majority of the beans I've seen in Mexican cooking are either Pintos, Black, or Peruanos.

Thought I had notification set on this thread but appears not to be so.

Apologies.

No I mean Pinto vs Romano.

Goya Beans

Both are dried beans in a bag for purposes of this conversation.

They look almost the same as I describe above. I'm just wanting to know if they are totally interchangeable. I'll find out in the end.

Making some drunken beans with Pintos first then I'll try with Romanos.

I just wondered if anyone had some empirical comparison from using one or the other in recipes.

I'm guessing up front that they are pretty close. But texture is a big deal when playing with different kinds of beans.

You can interchange them. Roman beans (AKA borlotti beans or romano beans) are in the cranberry bean family.

For far better beans - in terms of quality and selection - see Rancho Gordo.

OK so interchangeable. Thanks Kevin. Gotcha on Rancho Gordo. Using up whats on the shelf first
icon_smile.gif

Back