You all were too hard on the charbroil

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
after reading your posts about how terrible the charbroil was, I pulled my meat and put it on the gas weber and set it at low. the temp gauge maintained 250 degrees for many hours and burned little gas. However, since i had started with one large chimney of charcoal, it continued to burn after i pulled the meat and put it on the gas. I watched it as the day went on and the charbroil actually seemed to hold its temp pretty well. I think i could have cooked my ham on it for 5 hours on the one load of charcoal without trouble.

to the curb it will not go, lol. it's not even mine

Not *all* of us were too hard on them.
icon_smile.gif
Everything I posted was the stone-cold truth. I wish I had pictures of all the paint from the inside of the thing laying in the bottom in big strips.
icon_wink.gif

Congrats on getting a good one.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davidd:
after reading your posts about how terrible the charbroil was, I pulled my meat and put it on the gas weber and set it at low. the temp gauge maintained 250 degrees for many hours and burned little gas. However, since i had started with one large chimney of charcoal, it continued to burn after i pulled the meat and put it on the gas. I watched it as the day went on and the charbroil actually seemed to hold its temp pretty well. I think i could have cooked my ham on it for 5 hours on the one load of charcoal without trouble.

to the curb it will not go, lol. it's not even mine </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Davidd, my first smoker was a CharBroil H2O. The thing was so frustrating to use, I let it sit in my garage unused for several years.

If you were able to get yours to work right, then congrats. On mine, it was hard to get it into the IDEAL range and keep it there. Ash would cover the coals and after around 4 hours the temp would drop. Adding more charcoal would just make it worse and it would take a very long time to get the temp back up.

The units have no adjustable air vents, limited ventilation, and the charcoal sits in a bowl instead of on a rack so there's no place for ash to fall off, which is why the ash smothers the coals.

Your ham is pretty easy since you don't have to cook them very long; you're just heating up the meat and adding some smoke. Longer cooks are difficult in those CharBroils.

When you get around to using a WSM, you'll see why everyone here is hooked on them.

If you can make good Q on a CharBroil, you will be a champion on a WSM. For me the CharBroil was a learning experience I was pleased to put behind me.

Of couse nothing is perfect, we make modifications even to our WSMs to seek BBQ nirvana.

And no matter how much expensive jerky you make, remember . . . it's still cheaper than golf.

Back