Injection Recipe - Whiskey?

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
Everyone

I am doing another butt this weekend and want to inject it. I found some good recipes online...especially a Bob Gibson's recipe.

Question, has anyone added whiskey (Jack) to a butt injection? Results?

thx

Note from Moderator: Removed 198KB avatar. Please choose one under 5KB. Thanks!

Whiskey, like rosemary, can be quite overpowering when overused. Restraint must be exercised and so limit the whiskey/bourbon or whatever distillate to 1 1/2 Tablespoons for an entire butt weighing 8 - 10 pounds.

Hi Jim,

I'd be careful using Jack in your injection. It may overpower the meat and my own experience with booze in injection or baste seems create a drier product. I do like to add jack or some bourbon to my sauce once in awhile though. That way you get the flavor you are looking for (assuming you use sauce). If you are using the Chris Lilly injection, try adding a little apple cider vinegar to the juice mixture if you are looking for a little more kick in the taste. Enjoy!
Mike

Jim

I agree with Michael, if it were me I would not use whiskey with a butt. Here's what I use when I inject butts, give it a shot... "sorry for the pun".

For one avg size butt:
1/8 cup Texas Pete's hot sauce
1/2 cup Pineapple juice
3TBSP Worchestershire sauce
Tsp of my pork rub

The heat from the hot sauce cooks out so don't worry about it being too hot.

On the other hand I do use bourbon when I do beer can chicken. I just replace the beer with bourbon. I like the flavor better than the beer, and the beers's good.

I'm not a fan of any injections for anything--just not my thing--but have come up with a few recipes for others. Though no one has requested a whiskey addition I'd err on the side of caution and go light with it if you choose to give it a shot.

One thing I would highly suggest: Get rid of the alcohol component prior to injecting. This can be done by heating the whiskey in a pan and igniting it, allowing the flames to die and simmering for a bit longer; or mixing the injection and simmering it for a while on the stove. Alcohol will denature proteins and leaving in the alcohol will effect this on the meat, possibly leaving it feeling dry by making it less likely to hang onto moisture. (Even if you plan on heating or cooking the injection--before cooling it before use of course--I would recommend removing the alcohol by the flaming method and then adding it to your injection mix.)

Great feedback guys.

I think I will take the advice of adding some vinegar.

I will stick with alcohol for the sauce as an option.

thx!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Smithson:
I will stick with alcohol for the sauce as an option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe stick with alcohol for the cook as an option?

That's my personal preference.
icon_biggrin.gif

JimT

JimT, that's a given! Must have a "sauced" cook! Brings out the creativity, right?
icon_wink.gif

Rita

Back