Help, winds pick up, temp drops?

Chris C

TVWBB Fan
have 2 7lb Butts on top, 1 7lb packer bottom, did minion method started last night 2130, have wind break surronding 3 sides and board over top. wind has been blowing 15mph since 430, trying to keep temp above 225 have already added another chimney of charcoal at 630 and just started another chimney. using KB. Is this normal during windy conditions? do I need to do something else? I am in no hurry. just wondering if this is normal? temps right now are 174 butts and 163 brisket(bottom grate) Any help would be greatly appreciated

You have a wind break on 3 sides...what about the 4th side? Don't think you need the board over the top. Keep top vent at 100%. What are you lower vents set at? Are you using a heat sink? The meats themselves can be a heat sink as well and you have 21 lbs of meat on there. Is this an 18 or 22 WSM?

22 WSM, vents on bottom are set 100% open, don't have a board on 4th side, I was using water in pan but have not refilled it since I cant keep temp above the 225, I noted that temp on top without the cover would drop below 200, i think its due to wind coming in through vent on top, will grab another board and put on 4th side. right now temps are as follows

top:225
grate top: 237
large butt probe: 191
Brisket bottom: 178
Total cook time thus far: 14 hours

Chris,
Even though WSMs are wonderful cookers, cooking in gusty winds can be a PITA. It just robs the cooker of heat. 22's eat more charcoal to keep them hummin anyway.

I'd say just keep doing what you are doing...stuffin with coals until this cook is over, if the weather is typical in your area think about better wind break options for next time. Placing your cooker in a different spot with natural wind break may be an option also.

El Paso is a windy place. Sometimes I smoke in the backyard, other times I haul it around and smoke in the driveway in front of the house. Depends on wind direction. I look like a fool moving my stuff around the yard, but it works for me.

Dennis

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I am going to have to do something different. I try and pick days where the wind would not be an issue, failed on that one last night, both Butts are reading 195, brisket is reading 182, wondering if I can pull the brisket out and finish in the oven to 205. any suggestions? covered on all sides now and the smoker is holding steady around 240, been smoking now 15 hours

Back