Painting the Q lid?

Al Ramirez III

TVWBB Member
Has anyone ever painted the lid of their Q? Reason I ask is mine has been stained since a grease fire a while back. Nothing cleans it and believe me I've tried. What if I just painted the lid with the Rustoleum high temp grill paint? Any reason why that wouldn't work? Plus europe has some sleek black Q's that we don't get. I'm just tired of looking at my ugly Q. It will give me something to do while I wait for my regulator to come in.

i see no reason why not. if weber continues to not warranty my lid then i will probbably strip the lid and do just that, paint it with some 1500 deg paint.

Al, I'm with George. I'm a huge Auburn University fan and I have a red-headed Q220 that I take to the games for tailgates. I love my redhead - wife and grills - but they kinda stand out in a sea of Orange and Blue. I'm thinking about buying a second Q220 and having the lid repainted in Orange. I'd do it in a flash IF I knew where I could get a good, professional paint job with some high heat paint.

Pat

Well I bought the paint already. I'm going to go semi-gloss black. It's high heat ultra grill paint from Rustoleum. 1200 degree paint. I plan to lightly rough up the lid and then give it a good coat of this black paint. I'm a fan of the European black version of the Q grills so I think it's going to look awesome. I will post pics once I'm done. I just have to wait for it to warm up a bit its too cold to paint here right now. I'd rather it be black and I never have to see smoke stains on it again. It'd be nice to do a red or hunter green one day. I hear you can use high temp engine paint but I am going to do black for now.

Like Al I had a grease fire that changed the color of my Q lid. I'm looking forward to a follow-up post on how well the painting went!

Just FYI I did paint the lid but I'm not happy with it. The paint is peeling off for some reason. I think the best thing to do is sand the lid very well first then paint. It looked perfect until I put some heat on it. It is high temp bbq paint rated to 1200 degrees so its got to be that it doesn't stick well to the previous paint. I also did this when it was cold out so I'm not sure if that affected the paint. I'm going to try sanding it down when the weather warms up and try again.

I see that Rustoleum offers the hi-temp (1200 degrees) in an Almond color. I think that is close to what my factory color is on the Q. If I find some at Lowes then I'll be painting mine after sanding down the lid. I wonder if a primer is recommended?

I believe the lid is powder coated which can be a little tricky to repaint if not prepped right.
Do a Google search on " painting over powder coat ". That should give you some ideas on the prep work, so your paint will adhere properly.

Tim

you can try having it bead blasted to remove all the gray and then paint that. But painting aluminum in general is tricky.

Please post some pics if any of you are successful painting the Q. I'm looking to rescue a neglected Q and would apprecite any tips on painting the hood.

I wish Weber would offer it in black here for the states. I called the factory store to complain...but no progress. he he

Update: I sanded down the lid yesterday to bare aluminum and repainted it with the almond color rustoleum high heat. I'm going to fire it up today and see if it does not peel off like previously. I really like the color of the almond on the lid by the way. I'll keep you guys updated.

Update: I sanded down the lid yesterday to bare aluminum and repainted it with the almond color rustoleum high heat. I'm going to fire it up today and see if it does not peel off like previously. I really like the color of the almond on the lid by the way. I'll keep you guys updated.

What sandpaper grit you used and is it lots of work to sand it down to bare metal ? I have a Q300 and the paint is starting to loose on the backside.

Morgan,
Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully Al will see your question and reply, but it looks like his last post here was in 2011.
Maybe another member can give their experience.

This is what the Q-Lid looks like after some use.

13209125.jpg

13209126.jpg

Q300 lid sanded with 120&240 grit. Next time i will post pictures of the painted lid:) Some paint left in the corners which are very hard to sand, that reminds me i should buy Dremel...

13225199.jpg

13225200.jpg

Last edited:

Back