Boneless Chuck Roast vs. Chuck Roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Alright I cannot find a Chuck Roll. My butcher has already cut everything up for the weekend. All they have are 5lb boneless chuck roasts. I am gonna give two of them a shot and see how they turn out. Is this gonna basically be the same as a Chuck Roll, just on a smaller version? I have heard some say their chuck rolls have come out a little greasy. I want to avoid that from happening. About how long of a cook am I looking at for two five pounders "unfoiled"? I am thinking by eliminating the foil I will produce a "less greasy" finished product. Also TXBBQ Rub #1 or #2?

Around here they call em boneless blade roast <cut from chuck primal>. Boneless chuck roast sounds like the same thing, but I've been wrong before.

At 5lbs perhaps shoot for lower WSM temps like 220F rather than higher so it doesn't come to temp too quickly. I wouldn't foil them either.

If you're like me leave some extra time for pulling. The fat doesn't seem to render out quite as well as with pork butts.

My 2 bits. Have a great cook Larry!

Thanks Shawn,
I am really looking forward to trying the pulled beef. The butcher said the same thing, to cook them pretty low. I will let you guys know how they turn out!
icon_biggrin.gif

Good news, found one 10lb chuck roast at the grocery store, I told them to hold it for me! That should be better than 2 5lber's. Now, how long should I plan to cook "Chuckie" unfoiled?

Hi Larry,

According to one of the xperts on CR's, it should take 1 to 1.25 hours per pound when foiling, cooked at 225. If you're not going to foil, might take a bit longer. Here's Bryan's post

Okay, I just got back from "Giant", the butcher had a nice 11.22lb chuck roast waiting for me! Now I have something to work with very close to a chuck roll! Yay!!!!
icon_cool.gif
I did find out one thing though by calling around looking for the CR's! They are $1.89lb at BJ's and $2.99lb (on sale) at the supermarket!!! I am going to spend my $45 bucks and get my membership at BJ's!!

Larry,
I did a 4# blade roast last weekend used #2 rub
foiled at 160 with 3ounces of red wine turned out fantastic. Don't let those small roast's fool ya, turned out to be a great meal and still enough for sammies for a day or two!

Cheers

Steve,
Gotta question, when you foiled did you have alot of greasiness I have heard folks talk about? I was gonna try to avoid the foil if I can.

Larry
Chuck doesn't have the same fat structure like brisket so greasy is not a problem. Foil will help keep the moisture level much higher.
I was doing 4 20+ pound rolls for a vending, I cooked the rolls to 170 internal then plastic wrapped, foiled and placed all 4 in a preheated dry cooler. The rolls stayed in the cooler for 8 hours. After setting in there for 8 hours the internal was over 160 and they pullled very easily. The moisture level was the best I have seen. This technique also allows for holding a much longer period of time.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I was gonna try to avoid the foil if I can. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> My first CR was greasy/oily/fatty, however you want to say it, like brisket, at least the outside bottom. I used the reference topic instructions, foiled then returned to the WSM. I think it was greasy because the foil didn't leak and the drippings had nowhere to go for many hours while the CR came to temp.

In regard to Jim's post, maybe do the foil then Larry but poke a few holes in the bottom so the drippings can drain. That way you can still get the moisture saving benefits of using foil that Jim pointed out without letting your meat stew in it's drippings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
... I cooked the rolls to 170 internal then plastic wrapped, foiled and placed all 4 in a preheated dry cooler <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Wait a minute, I think we're not quite all on the same page here.

Larry, were you wondering about foiling at 160F then returning CR to the smoker?

Jim did you return the CRs to the cooker after you foiled them?

Just to clarify, in my earlier post I was suggesting not using foil for the cook, I wasn't speaking of foiling to hold in a cooler.

Jim,
What temp did you cook the CR's? I was planning on grate temp in the 235-240 range. Will cooking at that temp cook the meat slow enough to break it down? Or should I shoot for the 225 temp range to give it more time in the "smoke" since it will be taken out of the cooker at 170, then wrapped and set to rest for several hours? Obviously I am not going to be able to let my 11.22lb Chuck Roast rest for 8 hours as you did your 80lbs of meat because of the mass difference of course. Does 3 hours sound like sufficient time to let my 11-lber rest before pulling?

Shawn,
Jim said he pulled the meat off the cooker at an internal temp of 170, plastic and foiled wrapped and placed in a preheated cooler until ready to pull. He didn't return to the cooker.

Shawn,
When I originally asked the question about foiling I was worried about greasiness when "cooking" in foil. I have never done a Chuck Roast and to be honest do not know much about them. Other than ground chuck makes really good burgers.
icon_biggrin.gif
I have read a few threads where some people thought they turned out greasy when they foiled them and returned them to the cooker. I just want to find the best way to cook this piece of meat without being greasy or dried out.

I have found out something very interesting and do not know what to make of it. Some people cook their CR's to 160 unfoiled then foiled cook it more until it gets to 200+ and some cook them to a much lower temp?!?! That really threw me for a loop!

Disclaimer.......I am in no way saying one persons method of cooking a CR is right and the other person is wrong. I just found it very interesting and confusing that there are two totally different methods of cooking CR's.

No worries here, I just misunderstood Jim's post at first. I missed the plastic wrap bit and thought he was saying 'foil it, return to cooker it won't be greasy' .... then scratching my head ... thinking "I guess 'greasy' is a matter of opinion of the person eating it." Anyway hope this clears up my bit.

Larry,
yup, there is a little bit of grease, along with the wine. what I do is, at 190f I punch a small hole in the foil and let the wine and grease/fat SLOWLY fall into the water pan, then at 197/198f I take off the roast and let it rest for about 45min or 3 beers wich ever comes first.
Then pull.
And that's good eats!!!

Cheers

Steve,
My point exactly, you cook yours until it is close to 200*, foiled. Jim cooks his until it's 170*, plastic/foil wraps and lets rest for several hours.

Why is there such a huge temp variable??
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

Please don't anyone get me wrong. Again, I am not saying one method is right and one is wrong. I just want to know why one would cook to a temp of 200*, if you can get the same finished product by only cooking to 170* and letting it rest?? If I am missing something, please point it out.

Larry,

I'm not sure???If Jim lets his rest at 170 for 8 hours the temp must get close to 200 before it starts to cool.
The only reason I foil at 160 is because I'm afraid to dry it out and ruin dinner. I have done this about 4 times now and it has been perfect everytime.
To each his own, try it both ways, then you be the judge.
Cooking to 170 resting for 8 hours
Cooking to 160 foiling for about 2-3 hours and rest for 45min. Dinner is about 4 hours earlier, thats all I can say.

Cheers

Good point Steve! Didn't think about that, the temperature rising due to the mass of heat that 80lbs of meat that is already at 170* makes!! Steve what temp do you cook the CR's? What is the rule of thumb for hours per lb? Like I said, I know nothing about cooking this cut of meat and am in the learning stage! Thanks for your help!

Larry, I haven't done a CR yet, but I bet my patented method (drink alot, fall asleep, let the WSM do its thing) would work great! You're welcome to try it (tho like you I'd try to find out all the tips and tricks, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back