Bacon: how much tender quick per pound?

Mary M

TVWBB Fan
Recently I made my first batch of bacon using the maple bacon directions. Unfortunately, while quantities were given of maple syrup and Tender Quick, the instructions didn't state how much meat that should be good for, so I kept in in proportion but kind of winged the quantities. Results were excellent, but maybe a bit salty. So, I'm wondering: in general, how much Tender Quick per pound of meat should I be using?

I've got about ten pounds of bellies in the refrigerator right now, so this is not a purely academic question
icon_wink.gif

I just picked up 10lb of bellies today as well! Here is how I do it.

I like to put my cure in a cooking pan and dredge the bellies in my cure mixture until it is completely coated. Once I have it coated I simply shake off the excess cure, put the slabs of belly in garbage bags and it put in the refrigerator for around 7 days. I do not use exact measurements and the bacon never comes out salty.

If you bacon is two salty you can blanch it in simmering water quickly before cooking. It will greatly reduce the saltiness.

Okay, Shawn, I took your approach, tossed the bellies with Tender Quick until they were coated...then into ziplocs with a good slug of maple syrup. We'll see how it comes out. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you bacon is two salty you can blanch it in simmering water quickly before cooking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can also simply soak the belly in cold water before smoking, for 1, 2, up to several hours, depending on how much you wish to lessen the saltiness. Put the belly in a large pot, cover it with cold water, and stick the pot in the fridge. Drain and replace the water every hour or so to speed results.

To check if your belly might be too salty ahead of time: After removing the belly from the cure and rinsing it thoroughly, trim a small portion of the belly and fry it in a little oil till just cooked through. Taste for saltiness. It won't have the smoked flavor, of course, but you'll be able to tell the saltiness easily and then can decide to soak (or simmer) if needed. I soak for an about 2 hours as a matter or course, changing the water once, every time I make bacon.

Back