Chuck roast internal temp.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Evers

TVWBB Fan
A little confused about the internal temp. of a chuck roast. Should I cook it as a butt with temp. at around 190? And, should I baste often for moisture?

Thanks,
Larry

The finish temp will be 185 to 200?, depends on the piece of meat. Mopping will add layers of flavor and is a good idea, but won't add moisture.
Jim

I just cook a 22.6 lb chuck roast and was really interested in what would be the finished temp. I kept the rack temp around 225 degrees and once it reached 150 degrees, checked the roast, not even close to being done. I took it off at 180 degrees. The roast was done but still juicey. It could have cooked longer to remove more of the internal fat. This was a boneless choice chuck roast. Tasted better then brisket. The finished weight was aroung 16 lbs. Had an excellant smoke ring. Next time I would take it to at least 190 degrees.

Question that I do have is when you mop a piece of meat, don't you loss more heat then adding beneifit?

Dan L

I have done several chuck roasts - I take'em to 195 internal for pulling. I mop, but I heat the mop to darn near boiling so as not to put cold liquid on the meat.

I am very pleased with my results so far... next up, the giant beef clod. To inject or not to inject, that is MY question.

It took 12 hours at around 225 at grate to reach 190. I mopped several times throughout the cook. I wrapped it in foil, shut the cooker down, and let it sit for 3 more hours. Excellent.

Thanks for the help!

Theresa:

I have seen them at Smart and Final in Mountain View (which has the largest meat selection of the three Smart and Final locations on the peninsula as far as I can tell.) If memory serves, I have seen both chuck rolls and shoulder clods there on occasion, but their inventory seems to change every time I am there. I would suggest a phone call or two to Smart and Final near you to see if they have what you want.

Good luck!!

Rich G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back