Keeping Briisket and Pulled pork warm in oven

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
Curious what temp everyone else uses and how long is the max you would keep these 2 items warm in the oven? My overnighter is going to finish before I wanted it to.

You can keep them in a dry cooler for 4-5 hours pretty easily.

I insulate the cooler with a couple of large towels. If you are going to hold the meats for that long, double wrap in HD foil, and leave the cooler alone after that.

If I "had" to use the oven, then I would try for a very low setting, like 180. But, I've never had to...hmmmm

I wouldn't want to keep them warm this way for very long though....I'd think they may dry out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
Curious what temp everyone else uses and how long is the max you would keep these 2 items warm in the oven? My overnighter is going to finish before I wanted it to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't answer all of your question but I know 2 weeks ago I did a brisket in the bullet and when it was time I pulled it and wrapped in foil then I wrapped that in a heavy towel and put in an empty cooler. 2 1/2 hours later it was hot and full of juice when I opened it.

I hope someone else can help you better that tho.

Yeah, I have done the same my concern is that I am driving 1.5 hours to deliver (and cut there) the food. The brisket seems to be about done, yet the pork butts are hanging at 175, so I did not want the brisket sitting, and waiting too long for the butts.
I guess to better state my question, is that I feel as though they will be ready to go about 11AM, this party is at 6PM. I plan to put in the cooler, and pull, and cut about 2:30PM. Can this stay in foil pans until 6PM and be as tasty?

The brisket will hold 4-5 hours easily from the time that you pull it off. I almost never slice mine earlier than that.

Once you pull the brisket, and the delay is about getting the butt finished, then I would just speed up the butt. You can either foil the butt while it's in the wsm, or you can ramp up temps to help it finish faster.

Personally, I'd ramp up temps to 275-300 if the hold time was my concern.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
Yeah, I have done the same my concern is that I am driving 1.5 hours to deliver (and cut there) the food. The brisket seems to be about done, yet the pork butts are hanging at 175, so I did not want the brisket sitting, and waiting too long for the butts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just a suggestion but I'd take the brisket out when it's done, wrap it, then jack up the oven temp about 20-30 degrees to speed up the butt then wrap it when it reaches temp and head out.

Hope that helps.

Back