Bone Suckin Sauce....Western NC sauce??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Riggs

TVWBB Member
After getting my WSM for fathers day I have been a sauce trying and making fool. The more styles of sauce i try the less i find myself liking KC style sauces. I have been hooked on South Carolina mustard sauce on my pulled pork for a while.

I tried some Bone Suckin sauce over the weekend and really liked it. I think it is supposed to be a western NC sauce.

I was wondering from the knowledgeable sauce gurus how similar Bone Suckin sauce is to other western NC sauces and if the recipes for Western NC sauce you find on the web are similar to Bone Suckin sauce.

Thanks for any help.

Never tried Bone-Sucking Sauce. Never tried Western NC style sauces. But I've got recipes for several Western NC styles.
icon_biggrin.gif
Here's one:

Western North Carolina Style BBQ Sauce III
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Simmer for 10 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours before using.

I also have recipes for Lexington and Piedmont styles - I don't know where those locations are. Maybe someone closer to the source could explain the differences?

BSS is somewhat similar in that it's tomato-based. W Carolina sauces generally are but usually use ketchup as a base or sometimes tomato sauce (or both, apparently, as above). BSS uses paste. Vinegar is common, of couse, usually apple cider, and a sweetener, usually sugar, honey or molasses, or a combination. The horseradish and lemon in BSS is not common though not unheard of. Spices run the gamut: garlic, onion, mustard, pepper flakes, cayenne, paprika, commercial chili powder (which contains cumin and oregano as well), Fresh onion, chilies, and/or garlic may appear in the ingredient list as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Mason:
I also have recipes for Lexington and Piedmont styles - I don't know where those locations are. Maybe someone closer to the source could explain the differences? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
John, could you post them?

John, a few notes about Carolina sauces...
East: vinegar,pepper,red pepper,salt
Lexington:East plus touch of tomato-ketchup,pinch of sugar
West:tomato-I have not made a west sauce.

To classic Lexington I like to add a touch of worchestershire-that is my favorite sauce.

Steve is correct.
But we always used tomato sauce or paste to make our Lexington Style "dip". Probably a little more sugar, which would get you the similar results.

Western sauce is more ketchup and tomato sauce than anything, proportionally speaking.

I like almost all types of Q and related sauces that I've tried. But there is a foundness and an down home feel for me with the Lexington style. That's what we used when cooking a hog in my formative years.

These are from my collection of BBQ recipes garnered from the internet. I don't know how authentic they are. If anyone is interested, I have more sauces in a PDF file (193 pages: some are probably duplicates. If I culled 'em out I could get it down to maybe 140 pages.) I just don't know where I would post it so people could access it.

Anyway, the first one is equal amounts of ketchup and vinegar, second is more vinegar/less ketchup:

Lexington #1 Sauce
1/4 quart ketchup
1/4 quart vinegar — (amber 4% acidity)
2 1/2 oz sugar
2 oz salt
1 oz black pepper
1 oz crushed red pepper
1/4 pinch ground red pepper — (cayenne)

Combine all ingredients into a large pot with 1 quart water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Spoon the piping hot dip onto the prepared meat just prior to serving. This is a very thin sauce, but it is the same formula that has been used around here for generations.

Lexington-Style Finishing Sauce
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
1/3 cup ketchup
1/8 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp nuoc nam

Mix ingredients and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use as a finishing sauce for pulled pork barbecue.

Then two Piedmont sauces:

Piedmont NC Style BBQ Sauce I
1 1/2 cups vinegar
10 Tbsp ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 pinch red pepper
salt and pepper

Cook over low heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves.

Piedmont NC Style BBQ Sauce XV
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 onion — chopped
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp red pepper

Simmer 15 minutes.

John

Chris sent me "John Mason's Sauce Bible" It is a great piece of work. I need to go to Wally-World and pick up some jars I saw a lot things to try.

Duane

Keri,
That's pretty much what I have, but it's in PDF format. Essentially the BBQlist recipe archive reformatted to print out and 3-hole punch for a 3-ring binder.

Cool, Bill!

I don't want to take any credit for the recipes. They come from the BBQ list recipe archive(bottom of the page), I just collected and formatted them. I hope people find them useful. I should have edited a bit better. You'll see some in the sauce PDF are very similar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Mason:
I don't want to take any credit for the recipes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You're not taking the credit..I'm giving it
icon_cool.gif
. You did, afterall, introduce these recipes to the forum as well as modifying them a bit. If you really want, I'll remove the reference
icon_wink.gif

Thanks again, John

Thanks Bill!

I just want people to know that I'm not trying to claim these recipes as my own originals and pass myself off as some kind of BBQ expert or anything. I just collect 'em as part of my BBQ education. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back