Rub with Splenda

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Did two butts last weekend using a low carb rub with Splenda. Both butts had good bark and were tasty. The butts were about 16 pounds and hit 195 in about 18 hours of smoking at around 230 at the grate. I also injected these babies but couldn't taste any enhancement from the injection. Would have been a better test if I only injected one and left the other alone.

Do you mind posting the rub recipe Paul? Was it spicy? I like a bit of heat, but can't go crazy because my wife and kids don't like spicy. I always sub splenda for sugar in my rubs.
icon_smile.gif

Did you use the regular Splenda or the baking mix that has sugar added?

I have 3 butts and a brisket on right now using the Splenda baking mix and it's looking good so far, although it seems like the bark is a little darker. I'm on hour 12 so hopefully will get to sample it sometime soon.

Rub recipes I used was Mr Brown an Midnight Brisket both using the sugar substitute.

Dave, I'll post the recipe on the rub recipe page. It has a little bit of a bite because of the pepper(black and lemon) and you can increase the heat by uping the cayenne or subing some other type of pepper. I used the regular Splenda and it seemed to work out fine. I had some of the butt tonight for supper . It was great!!!

Back