Tried using Reflectix Insulation on 22" WSM - FAIL

Ed Jones

TVWBB Pro
It was 3 degrees (F) this morning when I went out to put two pork butts on for a high heat smoke. I wanted to run between 325-350 with an old, original BBQ Guru Competitor with 4cfm fan. I have a new 22" WSM.

Since the BBQ Guru folks do not (yet) have a Silver Bullet Smoking Jacket for the 22 incher, I thought to use some reflective insulation from Lowes called Reflectix. I used bungie cords to hold it to the smoker. I learned several valuable lessons I'd like to share with the community.

First, don't use Reflectix. It can't handle the heat. It melted to the side of the WSM in spots and the rubber bungie cord melted in half around the lower and middle sections. You'll need something metalized and/or fiberglass. DON'T use the reflective bubble wrap stuff directly against the WSM when trying to run at 300+.

Second, a 4cfm fan is not big enough for a 22" WSM running at high temps. I used to have a 10cfm fan but right now I only had the 4cfm fan. It kept up just fine when set to 225 but on a cold, windy day it couldn't puff enough.

All is not lost. I smoked the two shoulders for four hours outside and then foiled them and brought them inside to a 300ish oven to finish. It certainly won't be my best 'Q but it'll still be good eats.

I can hardly wait to get a smoking jacket for this 22" WSM and get my own Guru back :)

The Reflectix works if you have handles on the center section as it spaces away from the kettle about a inch or more. Trapping air is part of most insulation. Think thermos.Even if you wrap with welding blankets if they touch they will get burn marks and get crisp with time.

Seems like most folks think a temporary wind break is the answer
icon_smile.gif

Ron,

That's what I usually do but I thought I'd be "clever" this last time. I should have known me better
icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully the smoking jacket will be available soon. I don't have the time to make my own.

Ed, try Harbor Freight for a welding jacket. Look at temp range before buying . I used the same material you used on my WSM cart as a barrier in side. Of course, it's not touching the cooker

Slap yo Daddy on Pitmasters uses a water heater blanket on his WSM.
I have never used a blanket on mine in the MN cold winter, I use a bit more fuel in the winter than summer but...

Good luck,

Dave, I noticed that also. Don't know what the temp rating for that type of insulation is but I'd be concerned with Fiberglas touching a hot smoker. Needs to have an air space unless its rated for that temp

Back