Cooking at 225 degrees on the WSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everybody! Looks like this is the place to be for the "WSM" owners. I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and have a few questions if you would.

Temperature Control? Has anybody been able to get the temp down to 225 and make a long burn of about 10 hours? If so, what method did you use? What brand charcoal did you use? What wood chips did you use?

I have seen on this forum and a few others that people seem to be locked into the 250 range of temp and others say you can lower the temp, so how can we do it?

Thanks for your help and consideration. Take care.

------------------
Arizona BBQ Society

Chris has fire up methods and they are very well explained with pictures.
Cooking at 225* depends on where you are measuring the temp. If your measuring at the top of the dome then your cooking temp a the
top grate would be 20-30 degrees less, the bottom grate even lower.
If your measuring 250* at the top of the dome
then there's a good chance your cooking in the range you want.
As you cook more you will worry less about holding a pit temp at one temp, you will work within temp ranges. A clean burn becomes more important while keeping the pit within the range of temps you want.
Jim

Bruce.....

Check the Firing Up Method #2. That was "discovered/invented" by Jim from the previous post. I use this method every time and always have burn times in excess of 9 hours. I use Kingsford...after trying several others...and like it the best.

The secret to temp control is controlling it on the way UP!! With Jim's method, it is very easy to watch the temp climb slowly. Then you can shut down your vents as you approach your ideal temp. Keep in mind what Jim mentioned about dome level and grill level.

I did 10 racks of ribs over Easter and actually had to fight to get my temps UP!! I was using some charcoal I noticed doesn't burn as hot as Kingsford. Also, I probably didn't start with enough coals in the chimney. Oh well..........

Have fun and good luck!!

Stogie

Jim, one more question for you. If you only want to cook say, one butt or two racks of ribs, is there an advantage as to which grate you use? In other words, would you use the top (farthest away from the water), or would you use the bottom grate?

Stogie, a question for you. You said 10 racks of ribs. By chance, did you us a rib rack? If so, did you find a difference in the end result by using the rib rack vs flat on the grate? Just wondering. I have always placed my ribs flat on the grate, however, I can see where the rib rack would be a big advantage in the WSM because of grate space.

Thank you both for your time and answers.

Take care.

------------------
Arizona BBQ Society

Bruce
If your cooking only a Butt of a couple of racks I'd use the top rack. The way I pick what goes on top rack if your using both
grates is poultry always goes on the bottom
grate, Butt I'll cook over almost anything.
Pork Fat is good for everything including skin care, but I guess this is the wrong forum for that one.
Jim

Bruce,

Yes I used rib racks. It is the ONLY way to maximize the space. I have noticed NO difference in taste! I only use the racks when I require max space. Otherwise I lay flat or roll into a cylinder.

Stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back