Brisket over pork butts or pork butts over brisket?? that is the question

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I'm smoking two butts and a Kobe Brisket tonight and was looking for some opinions on which you would suggest should occupy the top grate and why?

I'm leaning toward putting the Brisket on the bottom fat side down

I expect the 8 lb kobe brisket will be done much sooner than the pork and will wrap it and hold it in a cooler or a few hours. The pork is more for an event monday night the Brisket is for tommorow. So they don't need to be timed to finish together.

Thanks for the input

P.S. I'm using water in the water pan and a digiQ II planning to keep it set at 225

Tom, first off that's interesting that you use water with a DigiQ, I've read posts by Shotgun Fred where he's said that will interfere with the performance of you DigiQ; I've also been a guest at several of Ed C's Q's with his DigiQ and it seems to work very well with just a foiled pan.

Regarding your question, I'd go brisket over your butts. Remember Kobe beef will be done before a Choice cut of beef. You don't mention how big the butts are, I'm assuming they're around the size of your brisket. Post a picture of that Kobe brisket. I've done several Kobe Tri-tips but I've never seen a Kobe brisket. Cheers . . .

EDIT: You ask why, because I think your brisket is going to be done prior to your butts (although I don't know the size of your butts) and I like as little movement as possible on my cooks. And, it's Kobe beef, I pay $1 something for butts, "F" them, I'm focusing on the Kobe beef
icon_biggrin.gif

I decided I wanted the Brisket done a little later so I put the Shoulders on last night at midnight and the Brisket at 7:30 am with two more chunks of cherry and one of Oak. This is smaller than the other Kobe brisket I did and they seem to cook more quickly than reular briskets

The Kobe Brisket just looks like a very prime Brisket. Tons of fatty streaks going through it. I did one before and it was good enough to try one more time. the downside was it was before I had my BBQ Guru DigiQ II and I was trying to cook it around 200-210 which was tough to control temprature...also because of the high fat content you do render more fat from the roast. The cost was'nt too bad I got it for less than $4.00/lb. I found it because I have a local grocer that grinds Kobe beef regularly and asked him what he was using to grind ...he said usualy briskets and sometime chucks since they were the least expensive cuts and give a great flavor too. So I just asked him when he gets the briskets to throw me a decent price on the in the wrapper and he did.

They do grind into great burger meat too! I did that with the excess of the last one I cooked that wouldn't fit into the smoker.

FWIW, if you are having anyguests who are kosher or hallal, then putting the brisket on top means that no pork is dripping on them. May not be an issue for your company, but you never know. I've done chicken for kosher friends when making ribs, and always make sure they're on top.

Michael

Back