Heat Sink Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully understand the use of "something" in the pan to provide:
- Heat Sink - maintaining a certain amount
of mass smoothing out any
highs and lows.
- A physical block to prevent direct heat.

Does not using water, instead of sand, and the conversion of water to steam/moisture come into the equation as well? I can appreciate the easy cleanup that sand affords, but you are then not taking advantage of the abililty for moist smoke?

Is "moist smoke" less of an advantage than what the various manufacturers intend and what some people understand it to be?

Yo Mike, What I am about to say may start a flame war here, but I think the added moisture from using a waterpan is overrated. By this I mean, that the moisture content INSIDE the meat is not noticibly different when a water pan is not used. However, the added moisture from a water pan, especially when higher cooking temperatures are used and the water in the pan boils at faster rate, will make a difference on the EXTERIOR of the meat.

I base these statements on my observations from cooking bacon slices on my big offset cookers, both of which use water pans, and my cooking bacon slices on the kettle and WSM using water pans. The bacon cooked with a waterpan tends to have a rubbery texture compared to bacon cooked on a dry kettle or WSM.

Now granted sliced bacon is a thin meat, but I have also noticed that poultry skin is not near as rubbery when cooked with a "dry" fire as poultry cooked when a water pan is used.

Don't get me wrong, I still use the waterpan on both of my offsets, but there are times when I use the dry pan method on my WSM.

Beers to you,

Juggy D Beerman

Mike...

I agree with Juggy on this one. I have now cooked many times using just sand and I have noticed not a bit of difference in my meats. As far as temp control...I find both sand and water require the same low maintenance.

Bruce....yes.....play sand is what I use also.

I also agree, BBQ stay moist because of the moisture in the meat and proper techniques not water in a waterpan.
Depending on what you are cooking using a wet waterpan or one filled with sand is just another tool to use.
Jim

Allrighty then, I'll ask the question that's begging to be asked. ~grin

If there are times that you would use water and times that you would use sand, when would those times be and for what meats?

For those of you who use sand. Do you use the WSM water pan or the larger Brinkman pan? I have both and wonder which would be the best to use.

Bruce......I use the pan that came with the unit even though I do have the Brinkman pan.

Mike....I started using sand when drying my jerky(this was after DB suggested it). Anytime you are trying to dry stuff...meat or peppers or garlic....you don't want any moisture. If I had to choose, I would use water for my pork butts...much longer cook and maybe the moisture does help the bark stay soft.

I use foil on all my other meats('cept chicken), so I don't need any additional moisture, hence the sand in the pan.

In the end, you MUST use whatever method suits YOU. I think Jim says it best...simply another tool/technique to consider.

Makes perfectly good sense to me to have as dry of a smoke as possible for jerky or anything else you're drying out.

I agree... No matter what others state, if it tastes good to me, then it tastes good to me.

Thanks!

Ok, so sand works as well as water. I'm convinced, but I'm curious, will a pan full of sand and quart or 2 of water work? It seems like you would get the easy clean up plus some added moisture. Any thoughts on this?
Don

I use a brinkman pan full of sand, threw away the original pan. I think trying a combo method with both sand and water is to complicated, keep it simple. My luck is that the foil would fail and leak the yuck into my sand which would reqire me to replace it.

The sand method, combined with putting the racks directly on the charcoal ring after a cook, makes a cleanup a two or three minute deal. We just pitch the foil, hit the racks with wire brush and knock off the charred stuff and reassemble for next time. Much better than cleaning out water pans that have been sitting for a week or two.

Don--

I would expect that by adding water to your sand, and to gain any benefit, you would then have to leave your sand uncovered and thus subject your nice, new, clean sand to the drippings of whatever meat you are cooking. Now, you will have contaminated sand which you must dispose of.

The alternative would be to cover your sand/water mixture and this would negate the adding of the water to the sand.

Water or sand will certainly moderate the "swing" in temp we encounter during a smoke as discussed in the thread. I prefer the water, or should say "broth" method. I season my "water" with a number of recipes of herb, spices, and fruits etc. depending upon what I'm smoking. I start the broth on the stovetop two-three hours at simmer before it goes into the preheated water pan. Coupling this wet, seasoned heat with the wood in the pit you can significantly influence the texture and flavor of the meat or fish. Sand, moderating the temp will not add any new demission in flavor to the meat or fish. Changing the broth receipt can significantly change the out come leaving all other variables constant, or as one can be, after all its BBQ. I have two. I had one for four years (Cooked on Brinkman's for 15 years before I found the Bullet) when I got the second as a gift. In this case "regifting" did not cross my mind. I have done "side-by-side" cooks with different approaches in each. I'm a "broth" man. I smoking a 12.5 turkey as we speak.

Happy Holidays to all-

Hi Steve!

I think several of us would disagree with your findings. I know I have done many tests with various mixtures in the water pan and not a single one tasted any different. We have had this discussion with several on the board and all agreeing there is no flavor imparted by mixture.

I realize there are a very few folks who have hyper-sensitive taste buds, but for the "average" person, there are simply too many flavors competing. You have your rub..consisting of many spices..then the smoke, then the mop and finally the sauce. Now you want to add how many more flavor components with juiced up water? I just don't think us normal folks will otiuce any difference.....I know my neighbors never have.

As far as texture..how can seasoned broth vs. water change the texture..they are both wet?

Having said all that...in the end, whatever tastes good to you is the best way to prepare!

Happy Holidays back at ya!

Up until now, I've not chimed in on this one. My smoker/cooker is a highly modified Weber that looks and cooks like a WSM, but bigger. The heat sink is half inch steel plate. Works like a charm.

willg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back