Ideas for boneless angus chuck roasts?????

Vince B

TVWBB Pro
Been looking at this cut at the store lately and wundered if any of you are making them on the wsm?

I bought one to try out now I just need some direction. I looked on the cooking topic's page and the one there looks like a whole roast to make pulled beef.

Can I do the same thing with a cut like this? The one I have is about 3 lbs and is boneless. Basically looks like a really large thick steak.

What do I do with this cut and is it good to make on the wsm?

Thanks in advance. Vince B

Originally posted by Vince B:
Been looking at this cut at the store lately and wundered if any of you are making them on the wsm?

I bought one to try out now I just need some direction. I looked on the cooking topic's page and the one there looks like a whole roast to make pulled beef.

Can I do the same thing with a cut like this? The one I have is about 3 lbs and is boneless. Basically looks like a really large thick steak.

What do I do with this cut and is it good to make on the wsm?

Thanks in advance. Vince B

Cook in the smoke, 245º-260º until you hit 160º-165º, double wrap in foil and continue to cook until tender, generally I start checking around 190º. It's done with you can twist a fork like you're twirling spaghetti. Enjoy!

Hi Vince,

Small chuck roasts are great for pulled/shredded beef! Smoke as Larry suggests.

Chuck_02.JPG

Chuck_06.JPG

###

Thanks Larry and D. L. Whitehead. What about a time frame? Also what do we do with the water pan? Water, empty, clay pot, removed....? Kind of a newb here need some help.

Thanks Larry. What about a time frame? Also what do we do with the water pan? Water, empty, clay pot, removed....? Kind of a newb here need some help.

3lb roast should take 5-6 hours at the temps/process I suggested. I use sand or firebricks in my water pan, so if you are using water the times may increase, but not dramatically. If you have a clay pot, I'd go that route!

Clay pot it is. I decided to use a weber creations whiskey marinade and then I was going to use some home made rub on the outside.

Can we do a HH method with a cut like this? I know I have read where some guys do this with butts. Thanks for the advise. Vince B

The last time I cooked this cut I did, in fact, use high heat, like a brisket. Foiled at 165 or so and then cooked until desired tenderness.

Having recently done a lot of pulled beef I decided to finish this one a little earlier, so it was still sliceable. That proved to be a good choice. Internal was around 185 or so.

Thanks for the reply on the HH.

My cut looks a little different from what D. L. Whitehead posted. His looks more like a roast compaired to what I have.

Like I said mine looks a bit more like a large thick steak. I guess it is the cut. I dont know. Going to let it marinade in the weber southern wiskey marinade until tomorrow.

At which I think I am going to rinse it and then rub with my house rub and then wrap in saran until I get home from work.

Then off to the smoker it will go. I'm still undesided on the method for cooking it. Feel free to post up opinions. Here is the picture of the cut I purchased.

DSCF0042-1.jpg

Nice looking roast. I always do them high heat, but sight and feel, have never temped one yet. I go from 300-325 until I like the look of the bark, then I throw them in a foil pan with a bed of onions on the bottom, throw a little more rub on the roast, then seal the pan with foil and cook until I can twist a fork without effort. Best pulled beef u will ever have, and the smokering on these things is amazing if you put it on cold.

I might get kicked off the board for typing this but I'd much rather cook a chuck roast than a brisket. If I'm going to spend the time to cook a piece of meat, I'd rather cook a good piece of meat.

Fella named Stogie who used to post here had a good recipe for Chuck Roasts.

He didn't cook Chuck Roasts by temps because he said all the different muscles would cook at different rates.

He suggested 225* for 3 hrs/lb and foiling with beef boullion 3/4 of the way through. I've always done it this way and never had a bad one.

YMMV

Thanks for the reply on the HH.

My cut looks a little different from what D. L. Whitehead posted. His looks more like a roast compaired to what I have.

Your's is fine Vince, still a chuck roast, just a cut from a different part off the primal piece. It will still cook the same.

Originally posted by Mark H:
I might get kicked off the board for typing this but I'd much rather cook a chuck roast than a brisket. If I'm going to spend the time to cook a piece of meat, I'd rather cook a good piece of meat.

smileban.gif

Thanks for the replies guys. I did rinse the roast this morning and then dried it a bit. Rubbed it up with my house rub and then wrapped it in saran until I get home.

Kind of leaning towards a high heat cook because of time restraints. I will have to see how early I can get it going this evening.

So basically I should cook this directly on the grate.
Foil after 160* and cook untill fork tender.
How about a sauce? #5???
Filp or don't flip?

Figured seeing as we are making bulled beef some nice soft rolls is how I will serve it.

Any other advise is appreciated and always welcome. Thanks again. Vince B

Wolfe Rub Bold is outstanding on this. I've done a bunch of these and they make, by far, the best tacos I have every eaten. I have to agree that it just might be a better cook than a brisket. More tender, easier to get right. These have a tremendous "WOW" factor as many have never had pulled beef. Quite unusual. They absorb the smoke flavor very well....oh, man I'm getting hungry just writing about it...

Thanks Don. I am doing a HH on this one because I really do not feel like being up all night.

I started with 3/4 of a weber chimney of K with 3 large chunks of hickory on top. Worked pretty good to get the hickory going and seemed to cut down on the smoke a bit. I always have a ton of smoke when I start. Figured this might help cut it down a bit.

After the wood was lit and burning pretty good, I started with 1/2 the charcoal ring with unlit K. Then I just dumped the lit K and hickory on top.

At which point I assembled the cooker with the lid on and ran inside to get the roast. By the time I go it on the temps were at 275*. I closed the bottom vents and had a nice amount of smoke going but not to much. I liked the way it looked!

After about 45 minutes the cooker settled at 285* so I cracked the bottom vents to 25% for about 20 minutes. This seemed to get me up over 315* and I slowly closed them for about the next 1/2 hour. As the temp rised I would close them a bit more.

Currently the bottom vents are barely open and the lid temps seem to be holding nicely at about 335*ish. I think I'm on the money here.

Here are a couple pictures from what I have taken today. The first picture is from the overnight marinade. I used a weber whiskey marinade that smells incrediable.
ChuckRoast002.jpg

This morning I rinsed and dried the cut of chuck. Then rubbed with my house rub and let it rest in the frig while I was work today. Here is a picture of how it looked just before putting it on. Cold and right out of the frig!
ChuckRoast003.jpg

Then a quick shot of the roast on the smoker before closing the lid for the first time. Man does it look tiny!
ChuckRoast008.jpg

Inturnal temp of the roast is 150* after 2 hours. More to come. Vince B

How's the pulled beef cook work with the Round roast instead of Chuck? I think it's a bone-in... picked it up while coming back into town from desert riding - there was a kid slingin' corn - 15 ears for $3.25 then I noticed the faded 'beef' sign - hence the roast. Should I do pulled beef or something else?

</hijack>

Roast is off and resting in less than 4 hours. Took about 3 hours to get to 165*. After the foil it was less than an hour to get to 190*. I did temp to 190* and then tested per Larry's advise.

At 190* it was not quite like spagetti. I let it go to 200* and it seemed better. Currently resting on the counter still in the foil. I'm going to pull it here in a bit. I will take some more pictures and post them later. Vince B

I got a chance to eat this for the first time last night and it was pretty good. I did not quite get the smoke ring but the end product was very good. Here are the rest of the pictures from the cook.

At the two hour mark.
chuckroast001-1.jpg

Just before foiling at 3 hours.
chuckroast002-1.jpg

After a rest in foil.
chuckroast004-1.jpg

What to do with these.....seperate them and use them.
chuckroast005-1.jpg

After the pull/chop!
chuckroast008-1.jpg

All in all I was very happy with this cook. I would have to agree that it was definitly better than the briskets I have made. I want to do another for Taco's using taco seasonings. I think that would be very good. Vince B

Good job Vince!

I'd suggest at least trying low and slow once with a chuck roast to see which method you prefer. And, next time keep an eye out for a chuck roast that is, perhaps, a little thicker. To me, slightly thicker roasts seem to retain moisture and pull/shred better than thinner roasts.

Once again, good job on your first smoked chuck roast! And, I like the idea of taco-type seasonings for smoked chuck tacos!

###

Looks great Vince!

I did my first smoked chuck roast recently, and was well pleased.
They were on sale here, a couple of weeks ago, for $1.89 per lb, and I'm still kicking myself for only buying 3
icon_frown.gif

Back