WSM Enclosure question

Jamie Ward

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone. I'm going to be making a wood enclosure/work station for my 22".

I am planning on making an enclosure for the whole cooker with just the lid sticking above the top of the work station.

My question is do I have to worry about the heat generated by the smoker catching the wood enclosure on fire? I personally don't think the outside of the smoker gets that hot, but this is a new project for me and I wanted to get some other opinions before I burn anything down.

I'm thinking about something like this with the following modifications: the WSM will be enclosed on all sides and located on the left of the unit. The enclosure will have hinged doors to allow for vent access. The bottom of the unit will be slotted to allow for air to enter from below the smoker. The right side of the unit will be left open below for storage. The bottom shelf as seen in the picture will be much lower to the ground to allow for the height of the 22" WSM.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jamie, welcome to the forum. One of the things I really like about the WSM is it's portability. I t rains here and I move mine in and out of my smoke shack as the weather dictates. I think that you could overcome the heat to wood issue with insulating material designed for indoor wood stoves. Aside from the table top, and storage, I would like to know why you want to enclose your cooker?
Interesting idea which many have probably done with some level of success.
Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
Aside from the table top, and storage, I would like to know why you want to enclose your cooker?
Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few reasons really. The first is just looks. I have a Weber gas grill on one side of my patio with this cover on it. I'm thinking my WSM enclosure will be of a similar size so that I could use the exact same grill cover on it when not in use. I may even build a removable frame to keep the same shape as the gas grill has with the cover on.

Aside from the looks with the cover on, I think it will look absolutely amazing with the cover off as an integrated smoking station. I really like the looks of the Big Green Egg and the table from the link above. I think that would look great on my back patio.

Another reason for the enclosure would be to eliminate much of the effect that wind has on the smoker. It would certainly make for a much more attractive wind break and certainly beats the osb I'm using now for that purpose.

Perhaps I'll just line the inside of the enclosure part with that foil bubble wrap stuff if I feel it's needed.

It's a project to be sure. I'm pretty good with my hands as a carpenter and have all the needed tools to make it happen. I figure a few weekends and the project would be complete. I'm just in the process of making mental sketches of what I'd like to do. I'll make sure to post plenty of pictures when the project is complete.

Back