Baking Pans

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
It seems that when covered bbqing calls for placing the meat in a pan, the pan to use is a disposable aluminum one purchased for a buck or two at the market.

What about using a regular raasting pan in place of the aluminum one. The roasting pan is one used for baking chicken or roast beef in the conventional oven? Its made of steel, like the ones made by Chicago Metallic.

If you're not going to use it for anything else I don't see why not. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" wasn't too thrilled that I used one of her loaf pans for my water pan last weekend when I smoked a pork butt.
icon_smile.gif

On the plus side I now have a permanent water pan.
icon_wink.gif

Metal objects left in a smoker for over 4-14 hours seem to always come out a different color than when they went in. If you like the new color then all is OK. If not, then disposable aluminum pans are a great option at low cost.

I have procured a couple of nice stainless steel pans from the "Secretary of Domestic Tranquility" that are now just for the smoker. I have found that when using vinegar in a mop or baste it tends to eat holes in the inexpensive aluminum pans and foil.

Also, maybe it's just me but those disposable foil pans have to be supported underneath when there is food in it. If I had a big batch of beans in a large foil pan and placed it on the bottom rack of the WSM, I would think it would be tricky getting the pan out of there without it collapsing once it is hot. Getting your hands down there and underneath the pan seems difficult. Maybe someone has some tips for dealing with this?

I use my pizza peel when moving a foil pan full of hot contents. If you don't have a pizza peel, do you have anything else that is flat and sturdy? How about a cookie sheet?

If it's small enough, I have a silicone 9" square cake pan that would work. It's not 'sturdy', though, so it would have to be carefully lifted/moved. Never tried it in a smoker, but I'm pretty sure it could be done without an issue.

Dennis D

When I do baked beans I use 2 foil pans put together. This makes it stronger. If I use a baking cassrole I wrap the outside and the lip of the dish with foil. This keeps if from staining.

David, Ryan, Tony & Doug - thanks for the tips you provided for handling pans on the lower grate. This is a great site.

When I do beans on the lower rack, I buy several of the small meatloaf pans I guess they are, and they will fit through the door so you can put them on the lower rack w/o needing to take the lid off and go through the top. I put 2 of them on at a time. I think 3" is the max height that will fit through the door.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
When I do beans on the lower rack, I buy several of the small meatloaf pans I guess they are, and they will fit through the door so you can put them on the lower rack w/o needing to take the lid off and go through the top. I put 2 of them on at a time. I think 3" is the max height that will fit through the door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never would have thought of that!!!

Thanks Bob!

JimT

Back