pork crown roast

Brian J

TVWBB Fan
i want to do something different for christmas dinner this year and i'm thinking of going with a pork crown roast. anyone even done one on a wsm? i'm thinking of brining and then cooking hot with an empty water pan.

I did one a couple years ago on my kettle for New Years. It was OK. Actually I was disappointed because it was a little dry. I did not brine which probably would make a difference. When I do one again, I would do the same cut of meat just not crowned....so just like a straight standing rib roast. I think that the cuts that are necessary to make the crown lead to loosing juice during the cook. Might be different on the WSM and with brine. I'll be curious so please post results.

I agree with JMiller, the cuts to make it a crowned roast can dry it out. I have no proof of that and I am sure some will disagree. I would definitely brine and then do not overcook! I would pull it out of the smoker when the meat hits 140-145* and let rest for 30 minutes. That should leave the meat with a nice looking pink to it. If your guests are scared about the pink pork just heat theirs up after slicing. Good luck man!

I do one every New Year's.

Overcooking will make it dry. No need to low/slow unless that's your preference. I cook ~325 and pull at ~140-145 internal.

Brining does give you more leeway at the finish and can also be used to add flavors. I brine in a herbed apple brine for a couple days.

Back