Keeping Pulled Pork Warm

craig t

How do y'all keep pulled pork warm so you can serve it over a period of a few hours at a party.It gets cold so quickly after pulling that no one eats it after about 20 minutes.Any suggestions?

For food safety. PP (and other items that one wants to serve hot) should be kept warm (>130?) in all parts. A CrockPot or, my preference, a chafing dish serves the purpose.

Chafers are worthwhile additions to a kitchen. They can be used numerous times throughout the year. You can go with a stainless steel chafer of considerable size, or simply go with a lightweight frame that will support disposable aluminum pans. Get the food hot first (chafers are not meant to heat cold food), place in the top pan, set it in the lower pan (where you've poured a bit of hot water), cover, light the Sterno (or other heat source); good to go.

See various chafers here. If you look in the middle of the first page you'll see the cheap $6.95 frame used for disposable aluminum pans (which are also available in different sizes).

I use a hot tray. I set it pretty high, and keep stirring the meat around as I serve. Since we own them, they're real cheap!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Crock Pot or Roasters work very well.

You can get 6~7qt Crock Pots for about $35 and 18~22qt Roasters for about $55.

Originally posted by Mark Z:
in a crock pot or roaster oven what temp do you set on..low?

I'd suggest you fill your crockpot with water and measure the temp at the settings available for that pot. That's what I'm going to do.

But I do expect that LO will be in the 130 - 140 range.

Rich

How much pork are you keeping warm and how many people are you feeding? The reason I ask is if I have cooked multiple butts, I only pull them one at a time as they are needed. The others remain wrapped in foil in a cooler.

How long are you keeping the food out? A few hours can get dangerous if not kept at proper temp.

To keep pulled pork warm, I have used all of the above methods. Also, an electric griddle set on warm with an pan on top works.

Back