Pitmaster IQUE 110 ?'s

Slade Calhoun

Used my 110 for the first time yesterday. It seems that there is about a 30 degree difference between the lid therm and the temp probe on the pitmaster. Is this normal? Also, the fan runs for about 10 seconds or so and kicks off. It kicks off and on like that until the desired temp is reached. Is this normal?

ok. Just wanted to make sure it was running right. It threw me off that there was such a difference in probe temp (taken on lid therm bolt) and lid therm. Also I didn't know the fan would kick off and on so much. Thanks.

Totally normal on both accounts. I actually have a wireless maverick Et 732 that I clip on with the iq110. It always reads 30 off on one smoker and 10 off on the other (I have 2 wsms).

I have used the IQ110 twice now and am not real happy with it yet. It seems to get to my 225-250 range quickly and holds it for 3 hours with no issues. After 3 hours, it drops down into the 2 teens and I cannot get it to come back up. I turn it off and open 2 vents on the smoker and all is well. I emailed them and they suggested that I run the top vent open 1/2 way after the first smoke. I did that with the same results on the second smoke.

Starting to wonder if it is my charcoal and the way I am loading it. I did it per their instructions but I wonder if the ash is starting to block their air flow around the adapter. I have no clue at this point.

I use the Auber ATC. My experience has been that you don't want to "help" the ATC by messing with vents. Just let it figure things out; these are adaptive devices.

Are you starting with a Minion burn? I load up my 22" WSM with K blue, pull 1/2 a chimney from the middle and light it, then return to the middle. Assemble everything, throw the meat on, hook up the probes and ATC, and let 'er rip. I get pretty much rock solid 225* for at least 12 hours, even in cold (10-20*) weather.

I had a digiq before, when I had a proq, and had no issues. I can't figure it out after 2 smokes. It is attached to one vent, the other 2 are completely closed. The pit is pretty air tight as well. I have done it based on what their instructions are. The owner has a 18" wsm, which is what I have. I take a full chimney of unlit and lay it down. I then put 1/2 chimney right on top. I do this also when just using the wsm without the IQ110 and get fairly stable temps for 6 hours, which is all I have done on it since I got it.

So you have a total of 1.5 chimneys of charcoal? I would think that wouldn't be enought to go past 6 hours. I fill the charcoal ring on my 22" and light 1/2 chimney. I can get 12-14 hours out of that in cold weather. Only 1 chimney with 1/2 lit would not last nearly that long, IMO.

Next smoke try filling your ring. You can always shut all the vents and snuff the fire when you are done, and re-use the charcoal.

James,
How do you set your vents on the Weber? Do you mess with covering the air inlets on the IQ?

Forget the dome temperature. You are not cooking the dome!The temperature where the food is cooking is what's important. What do you have the fan set on? There are fan settings that give you from 25-100% of the fan output. Good luck! I love my I QUE 100. I have 2 of them.

Hello, Everyone:

I'm checking the forum on ATC's. I'm in the market for an ATC for my 18.5 WSM. A friend of a friend, who competes on the barbecue circuit, recommended the 110.

I'm a bit nerdy about temp control, having agonized over my first few cooks because the temp varied 15-25 degrees, and I kept opening/closing vents, until I resigned myself that a variation of 15-25 degrees in either direction is a non-event. It even got to the point that a variation of 25-50 degrees stopped bothering me, because the variation didn't last long, perhaps less than a half hour or so.

Anyway, as I said, I'm looking to purchase the 110. I still consider myself a newbie with smoking; so, I move cautiously. So, other than the comments shown here, and understanding that there are preferences all over the place, and varied opinions and so on, can you folks add anything else to the body of knowledge for me?

As always, thanks for the input.

Back