Go to rubs

I don't use many commercial rubs but like the ones i do use very much.

Texas BBQ - Brisket & Grand Champion rubs

Then I also have (but haven't used yet) Kosmo's beef and pork injection. I know not a rub but thought it was still worth mentioning.

I also have some Kosmo products too. I believe it is the rib soak, sort of like a marinade of some sorts. I haven't tried it yet though.

Head Country and SuckleBusters are a couple of favorites but I'm trying to cut down on my sugar intake so I don't use them any more. I also like Rooster Booster and Knox Spices are good too.

My new favorite is "Carl's Gourmet All Natural Old Western Barbecue Spice Seasoning and Meat Rub". Its low salt no sugar and dirt cheap too.

I only have one commercial rub. Which I used once. I prefer my own rubs, that I've found and modified to my tastes.

My 3 favorites

Brisket Rub #4

1/2 cup kosher salt
2 TB Black pepper
2 TB Granulated garlic
1 TB Granulated onion
1 TB White pepper
1 TB Paprika
Brown Sugar

RIB RUB #1

* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup paprika
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon onion powder

Pull Pork Rub #3

2 TBS Brown Sugar
2 TBS Sugar
1 TBS Kosher Salt
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne

Plowboys Yardbird for both chicken and butt. Havent found anything great for my brisket yet but i might just try Bills recipe this weekend

I like Bad Byron's Butt rub for butts(duh!). For ribs,I like Stubbs Chile-lime. Good stuff right there,and available a lot of places.

Pretty much anything by John Henry: I love his Tammy's Herbal Rub on Lamb, his Texas Brisket Rub on brisket, his Sugar Maple rub on pork and salmon, and his Texas Chicken Tickler on chicken.

Bill

Originally posted by Steve W (Steve6224):
Havent found anything great for my brisket yet but i might just try Bills recipe this weekend

Steve...If you don't plan on making sandwiches cut the salt some. It's a bit too salty to eat plain, but works great for brisky sandwiches.

Thanks Bill.
Is it competition worthy?
Thats what Im looking for.
Plan on doing 2 briskets this weekend so I can taste test

Originally posted by Steve W (Steve6224):
Thanks Bill.
Is it competition worthy?
Thats what Im looking for.
Plan on doing 2 briskets this weekend so I can taste test

I have no idea what comps look for. But I think it's the best brisket rub I've tasted so far. Just add brown sugar to taste. I add a decent amount.

dinner1.jpg

amazingribs.com has a TON of recipes for just about anything you could think of..I've tried the Big Bad Beef Rub and the Memphis Dust and loved it!

Originally posted by Luis L.:
What is/are your go to commercial rubs?

I'm a fan of Big Rons Hint of Houston.
Big Rons

I ordered some Simply Marvelous cherry.
Simply Marvelous Cherry

I'll probably try that out on next weeks smoke.

I haven't used the Simply Marvelous Cherry rub but I like the Earl Campbell's Rib rub and i mix a small package of Cherry Jello in the rub to get the cherry sweetness. Works great and every one loves it.

Originally posted by Bill S.:
Brisket Rub #4

1/2 cup kosher salt
2 TB Black pepper
2 TB Granulated garlic
1 TB Granulated onion
1 TB White pepper
1 TB Paprika
Brown Sugar

Hi Bill,
What's the quantity/percentage of brown sugar with this recipe? I may just have to try it this season!

I also am a fan of John Henry's rubs especially the Caribbean Sun. Though today I tried a new one on chicken Three Little Pigs touch of cherry

I have dropped commercial rubs from my cabinet because I enjoy mixing up my own recipes (through trial and error) or other rub concoctions that are already tried and true.

This one from Weber is a Go-To Rub for me. Best on beef, but great on chicken and pork as well.

2 TBS Paprika
2 TBS Light Brown Sugar (Dark OK)
1 TBS Chili Powder
1 TBS Kosher Salt
1 TBS Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Cumin

Back