Something different with butts?

Thomas B.

TVWBB Member
I've cooked a handful of butts, (one last weekend acutally) and they've all come out fantastic. I've got another to cook this weekend, and I'm looking to try something different with it. Something other than the usual rub,smoke,pull routine. I dunno, maybe brining? Marinating? I may try slicing the butt also, just for some variety from the usual pulled sandwiches. Any input is welcome!

i like pulled pork but prefer the
sliced variety. i cook it to 185,
then off and wrapped to settle.
i tried brinning and just didn't enjoy
that so i just rub and smoke.
others will give more advice.

If you'll click on the Sunset magazine link above, do a search for Cheryl Jamison you will find recipes from the same article (from their Big Book of Outdoor Entertaining):

The art of barbecue
Great recipes to try this weekend. Plus: a lesson with Santa Fe's Bill and Cheryl Jamison, masters of meat, smoke, and fire (6/07) Story
Recipes

Texas Peach Cobbler (7/07)
Long-Cooked Collards with Cane Syrup (7/07)
Santa Maria Salsa (7/07)
Santa Maria Smoked Tri-Tip (7/07)

Click on View Full List for many more of their recipes.

There's also butt, smoked for a while first, then finished by braising (with dried fruits and a wine reduction, here; with sauerkraut or cabbage, onions and beer, mentionedhere and followed up a couple posts below). And, of course, a favorite butt alternative, cochinita pibil.

I too like butt sliced, george. Great for hot open-faced sandwiches, cold sandwiches and grilled sandwiches as well as more typical dinner fare.

Pulled pork rules!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back