Propane valve o-rings

jim_b

Not sure just where here to ask but I have a valve on my propane tank that has a worn o-ring. No one around here know where to pick one up and they tell me I need to buy a new valve instead. Does anyone know a source for these o-rings? Its on an OPD valve if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Yes I have , they are the ones who said I just need to replace the entire valve . That kind of threw up a red flag.

Hmmmmmm, and its on your tank? May be time to do a "tank exchange" propane purchase. We all know we don't get as much gas in those exchange tanks as we do if we get our own tank filled, BUT it might be a way to solve your problem! Let the tank company make the replacement.

Pat

I agree with Pat. While it is definately cheaper to refill than swap,I wouldn't mess around. And it's probably cheaper than buying a new tank or easier than messing around with fixing the old tank. And afterward,you can go back to filling the swapped tank!

Find a distributor for Parker O rings in your area and they should be able to fix you up with what you need.

You should not have a problem finding someone who handles the o rings.

It's nice to be able to replace parts, but if you get the wrong one it could be disaster. That's probably why it's difficult to find one.

My dog chewed up my iron power cord(unplugged of course). The manufacturer wouldn't sell me a replacement because of safety issues.

Russell

I had the same problem last yr. From my understanding it's not really an o-ring as its a seal pressed into the opd valve. The three bottled gas dealers that I contacted all said that they would just replace it with a new valve.
I just did what was said upthread and did the swap out.
HTH

Tim

You want a bearing supply place for o-rings.
Motion Industries is one with many locations.

Jim

If it is really an O ring then you can get any O ring in any material known to man from McMaster-carr.
The problem is what size. They have some guides to help in selection (difficult to use). I have obtained from them O-Rings I use in refurbishing pellet guns (in 3 different materials) but the first time i had to guess what to order.

just my 02

Well its not really an o-ring . I tried to remove it today so that I could get an idea of the size , and they dont remove. It appears that it is(was) a rubber o-ring adhered to a brass sleeve . The ring came out in pieces and the sleeve I could not get out. Well atleast it restores my faith in the propane supplier here. Looks like the exchange will be the best route . Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

I keep a supply of o-rings on hand. I have to replace them pretty regularly. Pick them up at any hardware store.

Back