How Long For Pork Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewjeff

TVWBB Member
I have 2, bone-in, 8lb (untrimmed) butts,
and 1 4 lb deboned/trimmed butt.

Roughly how long would you gestimate it's gonna take in the WSM?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lewjeff:
[qb] I have 2, bone-in, 8lb (untrimmed) butts,
and 1 4 lb deboned/trimmed butt.

Roughly how long would you gestimate it's gonna take in the WSM? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've only done two butts so far. But mine were smaller. One 3.5lb's and the other one was 4.5lb's. The first one took about 11 hours and the second one took about 13 hours. It all depends on the temp you run. But I'd guess somewhere around ateast 15 hours for all of them. They wont all get done at the same time either so you'll have to watch for them and check them. The 4 pound will be done first of course Probobly around 10 or 11 hours. I'd put the bigger ones on the top rack and the smaller one on the bottom rack.
Remember sometimes weight of the meat does'nt mean all that much. size and density can be different regardless of weight and can really fool you in terms of time of cooking.

Some people get 8lb butts done in 10 hours. But my 4.5lb took 13 hours. See what I mean.

Definately no solid answer for cook times on butts. My 6 pounder took 10 hours, but I was running a little warm, around 250 - 275.

The best thing to do is plan ot taking 15 hours or so, and if it's done in less than that, great.

lewjeff,

I did five pork butts for a July 4th party, total weight 27.19lb. I put them on at 8:45pm July 3rd and removed them at 12:15pm July 4th. They were all about equal in siz, figure 5 1/2 or so pounds. 15 1/2 hours for all five, pulled when one on top rack was at 192 one on bottom rack 190. It was a great cook and they were great butts.

I have 4 butts on now!!!!!!!! total about 7 lbs each. They went on at midnight and will be on until at least 2:00 pm

I decided to do an overnight with the 8lb-ers, and put the 4lb-er on at 6:00am.

Anyone here have Guinness for breakfast?!?!
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back