My New grill! Napoleon M605 Charcoal!

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Hi all! Pretty fired up about my new charcoal grill, the Napoleon M605RBCSS! I first laid eyes on this three years ago and I bought it this year. Guessing they aren't selling well for Napoleon ... my ser# is 676.
icon_biggrin.gif
Broke it in tonight with a burger cook followed up by wings. Had to get it ready for a party cook on the weekend. Fajitas and I think I'll do them on CI griddles over the coals!

My keg is still going to be my main grill but this thing is the party grill ... 605 square inches of charcoal playground with cast iron grates, 12" vertical adjustable charcoal tray with a 6 speed manual shifter
icon_biggrin.gif
, ash pan, hanging charcoal basket for rotis cooking, warming rack, 5 opening dampers across the front via single control lever!! Did I mention lifetime warranty ?!

On with the pics! More comments at the bottom.

IMG_0611_sm.jpg

Warming rack, ci grates, front charcoal access door:
IMG_0613_sm.jpg

Basket for hanging lit charcoal for rotis cooking!!:
IMG_0615_sm.jpg

Rotis bracket:

CI grate channeled side:

CI grate pointy side:

6 speed shifter, charcoal tray all the way up:
IMG_0618_sm.jpg

6 speed shifter, charcoal tray all the way down:
IMG_0620_sm.jpg

Bottom storage:

Front removable ash pan:
IMG_0623_sm.jpg

Charcoal tray height mechanism:
IMG_0624_sm.jpg

Charcoal tray:
IMG_0626_sm.jpg

Damper mechanism, this tab slides a plate across the front regulating air through 5 slots like the one shown that are evenly spaced across the front underside:

Firing it up with the Looftlighter:
IMG_0632_sm.jpg

IMG_0633_sm.jpg

Ci grates oiled ready for seasoning:
IMG_0636_sm.jpg

90 minutes later, ready to go with three pieces of cherry wood thrown in the coals:
IMG_0637_sm.jpg

5lbs worth of reg gr beef burgers (13 patties) didnt fill this grill!!!:
IMG_0639_sm.jpg

And done!:
IMG_0646_sm.jpg

Kamado this ain't. I used most of a 20lb bag of briqs seasoning it up and cooking the burgers and wings. I expect a typical cook in this will be at least 1/3 bag of charcoal ... it's a big oven to heat ... but I'll play around with less lit coals and the grate heights.

I didn't see any flare ups with even all this reg ground beef ... wow

Temps were expectedly uneven ... I only had a single layer of briqs on about 2/3 of the charcoal tray. We'll have see what it cooks like with even more lit charcoal. Ran a lid temp of around 400ºF with dampers full open.

First impressions? Food was great! This thing has the fuel economy of a 60's muscle car
icon_biggrin.gif
... but that was expected ... LOVE the CI grates! Really looking forward to using it some more ... a really fun toy for the charcoal grilling enthusiast!
icon_biggrin.gif

My father in law´s buddy(sounds like a lie already
icon_wink.gif
) Have a napoleon grill and swears by it. Sure looks good,and i bet it will serve you good. Looks really well built.

Great Canadian company. I have dealt with their gas fireplaces a lot and they are high quality. Just curious if it was made in Canada. All their stuff used to be but I'm not sure anymore.

A charcoal basket & a couple bricks will allow you adjust the charcoal for smaller cooking area's. Let's you grill a few burgers with 1-2 lbs charcoal of allows you to indirect smoke,

0330e909.png

d5dfef58.png

That is a beauty!

I've looked at their kettle and WSM copies and they have a lot of interesting features, but nothing that couldn't be duplicated on a Weber at a fraction of the price. I'd love to test drive any of them, though.

Bob not this one. Their Mirage line is China product. Napoleon's Prestige lines are made in Canada though.

I have had a Napoleon Prestige gasser for over 10 years now. It still works like a charm.I used to be able to get her up to 700F now it will only get to 650f. I have not replaced anything although I really want some of those sexy wavy grates!

I seem to remember when Rob Rainfords show "License to Grill" was on TV here in Northern California he exclusively used Napoleon grills. Gassers if I remember correctly.

Not heard of them either. New one for me. Really like the look. Seems designed for functionality as well - not something many manufacturers can actually claim, although of course they do.

They are popular in Canada, same warranty as Weber. Mainly propane and natural gas grills but they are trying to start selling charcoal grills. Great quality that's made in Canada too.

You are correct Steve, Rob does use Napoleon exclusively on his show. Really nice guy and golf fanatic from Toronto.

I made a grilled apple salsa and orange ginger marinated pork loin on the rotis then sliced thin and served with blackbean tortilla chips.

The charcoal in the rotis basket alone was not enough to heat the oven as much as I wanted so I used two small piles of charcoal, one on each side of the outside edges of the charcoal tray

rotiloinandsalsa_zps3d03f110.jpg

Here is a pic of the salsa:
applesalsa_zps0e102def.jpg

Back