22.5" WSM ? maintaining low heats

Pat DiFelice

Hello all,
I currently have the 18.5" wsm and am considering getting the 22.5" wsm. I have read thru numerous threads on the 22.5" wsm. The only thing that would concern me is that there are comments here and other sites regarding that the 22.5" runs hot. When using my 18.5" I try to keep the dome temp at 225 degrees, I know the grate is a little hotter but it seems I have good luck with that dome temp. So my question to people with 22.5" expierence is that will I have a problem keeping the dome temp at 225 degrees like my 18.5"? or is this running hotter issue only a learning curve. This is the only concern I have. Any input and advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat

Pat, I haven't done a big butt cook yet in my new (to me) 22.5", but I can tell you that I have no question that there won't be any problem keeping temps under control, whether using water or my 16" clay pot base.

I smoked six slabs of comp-style st. Louis ribs yesterday on my top two racks and accessed my bottom grate through the door to put the tips down there. SPACE is a GOOD THING, and my 18.5" is probably feeling a little neglected.

I have no problems keeping the 22.5 temps low. I can lock on to 225 and keep it there with little to no work. I don't use water or anything as a heat-sink either, just a foiled pan.

I use a 16" clay flower pot base in my 22 1/2" WSM and have no problem keeping a steady, low temperature.

Bob

I wish I knew how you're doing it. I've got a 22.5. Maybe 20 cooks on it now. I can't keep it below 270. Minion method, start with about 20 coals. If i close all bottom vents, it runs up to 270 and sits there like my 7 yr old (won't listen, won't move). It will cook there forever. Is it due to leaks around the door? the mid section fits the top and bottom very solid. thoughts?

-tom

Originally posted by Tommy Lee (Georgia):
I wish I knew how you're doing it. I've got a 22.5. Maybe 20 cooks on it now. I can't keep it below 270. Minion method, start with about 20 coals. If i close all bottom vents, it runs up to 270 and sits there like my 7 yr old (won't listen, won't move). It will cook there forever. Is it due to leaks around the door? the mid section fits the top and bottom very solid. thoughts?

-tom

Well, all I can speculate is that it's getting more air than mine or the typical big bullet does somewhere. What's your average meat load like, and what's your heat sink?

I find my 22 1/2" WSM tends to run hotter than my 18 1/2" model. I find the bigger model easier to control it's temperature.

In my 22 1/2" WSM, I use an 18 1/2" charcoal ring. In both models, I use the Minion method with 4 or 5 fist sized lumps of wood. I light the charcoal in 2 places with a high output propane torch and let it come up to my target temperature slowly, before putting my meat on.

I do not use water in either of my WSMs, I use a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan. I can easily dial my 22 1/2" model into any temperature from 225F to 350F. My 18 1/2" model struggles at temperatures over 275F. If I am targeting a temperature over 275F with my small WSM, I typically have to prop the door open to keep a consistent high temperature.

Tommy, if closing the bottom vents don't do it, try closing the top vent. If you have a bad leak around your door or your sections have a bad seal, it could explain your problem.

Good luck.

Bob

I typically have to prop the door open to keep a consistent high temperature.
Bob if you into doing mods a 2nd draft control on the lid of your 18 will fix your under 275 problem. Just did mine, not sure how hot it will go but no problem at 350.

for better or worse my 22.5 must leak a fair bit of air. Using the minion method and water in the pot I get to 225 and maintain it with all 3 bottom vents completely shut. The top vent is fully open though.

everything appears to fit tightly, but it must not be because I can never snuff out the coals... What ever is in there burns until gone even with the top vent shut

James, that was pretty much what my 22.5 was doing as well. Now in all fairness I only did 5 cooks on it before I found a used 18.5 which I bought for comparison purposes and after using it I decided the 18.5 was for me so I sold the 22.5. There's just the two of us and the grandbrats the odd time.

I've since added the Nomex gaskets and some other mods, then bought a new model 18.5 used as well.

Check out the gasket material. It sure does allow absolute control. I can snuff my smoker out pretty quick, never timed it exactly but I'm gonna say almost as quick as my grill.

Originally posted by Gary S:
Bob if you into doing mods a 2nd draft control on the lid of your 18 will fix your under 275 problem. Just did mine, not sure how hot it will go but no problem at 350.
Great, thanks for the info Gary.

Did you get a second vent wheel from Weber?
Where did you mount it on the lid?

Thanks,

Bob

I can maintain temps as low as 175* by barely cracking the bottom vents open on a still day. If there's a wind I have to close the vent on the windward side. I like to do jerky this way.

Did you get a second vent wheel from Weber?
Where did you mount it on the lid?

Hey Bob, yes I called Weber here in Ontario and they sent me a pack of 3, that's how they are shipped. $12.00. If you go into the mods section and query "Vents" you will see quite bit of info on this modification. It's pretty simple if you follow the procedure of using masking tape and use a uni bit. One cook and the grease will prevent any rust to the exposed edges.

I decided to do it after my 1st HH brisket and because I really like beer can chicken and turkey. In fact I am doing a BCT as I write this.
I have two WSMs pre 2009 and post 2009. I used the dome off the old one and placed the vent on the opposite side of the original. No therm to get in the way. Then I drilled a hole for Guru grommet and fastened that so I can insert a dome thermometer easly and remove it whenever. I have done several mods on this site and everyone has made an improvement to the operation of the smoker.

I had the same issue with my 22.5 the first few cooks and I was using water, got real frustrated there for awhile then I reshaped the center section a little and put a dbl piece of tin foil over the opening behind the side door , it doesn't seal the leak completely but I see very little smoke ,matter of fact a lot less smoke than at first,coming out from around the door and I also start with maybe a dozen lit briquettes and catch the temp rise early. Now after I did a few more cooks I can maintain my temps very easily and I'm not using any water in the bowl,just a metal disk. It'll even itself out in a while I believe.

Problem solved... for me. Amazing what a little common sense combined with the info in this forum will do for you.

I recently posted that I couldn't keep my 22.5 below 270. I took a step back and looked at what I was doing. That whole "definition of insanity" thing kicked in. What I thought was right maybe wasn't right, and i needed to try something different to get different results.

For long, low temp cooks, I use the minion method with a twist. I use a coffee can with the bottom cut off, put in the center of the charcoal ring. I surround it with a full ring of unlit coals. I start 1/2 chimney of coals, dump those in the can, then pull the can out. Gives me a "donut" of unlit coals with the center full of hot coals. I put my hardwood chunks in the ring and let the coals gradually light, spreading outward. Sounds reasonable.

I also use remote temp probes for meat and grate temp, running the cables under the lid (which obviously causes an air gap, but I thought it was small). I noticed on my last cook that there was a *lot* of smoke coming thru the lid-middle joint. Too much extra air flow, maybe?

Today, July 4, I'm smoking 4 racks of St. Louis style ribs. I filled the charcoal ring half full (instead of full), and I didn't run the temp cables under the lid. I dropped the pit probe down the top vent and skipped the meat temp prob completely, so there is no gap between the lid and middle section. It looks air-tight, minimal smoke escaping.

I'm 3 hours into this cook. Temps have been rock solid - 222 to 230. Right now, looking at my Maverick remote unit, temp is 225.

Lesson learned: fewer coals than I thought, let the lid seat like it's supposed to = 225 for hours!

BTW, I am using a full water pan.

thanks for the comments and tips.

-tommy

Oh, and even when I cooked the pork shoulder at 270, it turned out great.

My 14 yr daughter swears she's a vegetarian. Yet, she ate FOUR pulled pork sandwiches this past weekend.

I promised I wouldn't tell anyone but you
icon_wink.gif

-tommy

Originally posted by Tommy Lee (Georgia):
My 14 yr daughter swears she's a vegetarian. Yet, she ate FOUR pulled pork sandwiches this past weekend.

I promised I wouldn't tell anyone but you
icon_wink.gif

-tommy

Love it!

Back