Weber Genesis 3000 Rehab - FINISHED WITH PICS

Mike Purnell

TVWBB Pro
I found a nice FREE Weber Genesis 3000 LP grill for sale but it's missing the left wooden side shelf. Weber only sells the plastic replacement parts. If I put a plastic shelf on the side, I'm thinking I'll have to replace the wooden lid handle to match the plastic side table. However, this means the wood swing up table & wood bottom shelf under the grill will look out of place.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Check out Jonathan Tolentino's "Genesis 2000 Rehab" on the next page in this forum.

His is basically the same as yours, without the side burner. He did a beautiful job and I'm certain that with a little woodworking skill and elbow-grease, yours could achieve similar results.

Other than the missing table, she looks pretty solid and it looks like (nearly) everything is there.

You could probably also fill-in the missing wood with a chunk of stone or ceramic tile if you want to keep the existing wood.

(If you want to keep the existing wood - I'd suggest using something completely different to fill-in the missing table. This is because mis-matched wood with the same slat design will make the whole thing look "McGyvered". If you want to achieve matched wood, I would replace ALL of it, so that it matches properly like what Jonathan did.)

Just my $0.02 worth

unfortunately I have ZERO woodworking skills, lol.

I could sand and refinish the existing wood but that leaves me with the missing side table still. Even if I were to find someone to replace all of the wood, it looks like I would still need the brackets that holds the side table in place?

BTW, that 2000 rehab looks awesome!

Know anybody local in construction / kitchens / cabinetmaking?

If you do, or ask around - maybe someone who does kitchen countertops could fit a chunk of Corian or Silestone, or some other product in there. They could probably make it out of a chunk of left-over that they cut-out when they do a sink install.

I would bet that if you checked into this, it would cost you a few bucks, but then you would have a really nice grill, and could do the sand & stain / varnish the existing woodwork. (If you contact the right person, it may be less dough than you might expect.)

You really do not need anything too fancy - just a chunk of weather-resistant material in there, that will not slide-around, and does not interfere with the flip-up table. (If it looks good, you may even decide to remove the flip-up table anyway and not use it - maybe you could remove it and fit it into the missing tabletop spot with some sort of [brackets]?

just some food for thought

Contact the guy on EBAY that sells the SS flavor bars and rod grates and goes by RCplanebuyer. He also makes the end brackets in SS for the shelves. They are a little pricey but you only need 2 unless you replace them all in SS. I bought 2 complete sets and they are a perfect match to the original Weber. Dan

Well, brought the bbq home and it has cleaned up nicely. Main & side burners are great, started first push of the ignitor. The rest of the parts inside are pretty rusted so they're getting replaced. I will post pics once it's finished.

I ended up buying the durawood table, swing table & plastic lid handle. I am restoring this for a friend and they preferred the ease of maintaining plastic compared to taking care of wood. I am still going to sand down & re-stain the bottom shelf but the rest will be the Weber durawood.

My friend gave me a nice budget of $300 so besides the new tables & handle she's getting new SS grates, SS flavorizer bars, warm-up basket, warming rack & Weber cover. Should be good as new once it's done, will last a long time!

Updated picture. Cleaned up nicely & now I'm just waiting for the parts to finish it off. For all of the vintage wood fans out there, don't hate me for sanding and staining the bottom shelf black
icon_eek.gif

That turned out beautiful, Mike. The bottom shelf stained black and the stainless steel really gives it a classy look. Your friend is very lucky.

Mike, CAN I BE YOUR FRIEND!!!
That really looks sharp, you did a great job on the rehab. I really like the two different stains. It adds a nice touch to it.
Great Job,
Tim

very nice job! I just saw your question over on my post. Looks like you found a rotisserie. Did you go through weber for it?

Originally posted by JustinL:
very nice job! I just saw your question over on my post. Looks like you found a rotisserie. Did you go through weber for it?

Yes, I ended up getting the Weber 7572 rotisserie. Fits perfect.

Great job on reviving that beauty!

Do you happen to have the part numbers for the flip down and side table? Cost as well?

I just picked up a Red Genesis 3000 and would love to order those two parts for it.

Thanks.

Back